Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Between stepping stones

Posted by muskymojo MN (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 29, 10 at 2:04

I'm new to this forum and could use some advice. I have a small patio made of stepping stones. Looking for a low profile filler between the stones(other than weeds). I was told creeping thyme would be good. It will get walked on somewhat. Also want something that will come back each year after our harsh MN winters. Is there such a herb?
Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Between stepping stones

What zone are you in?

FataMorgana

o

Common thyme(don't know if it's the same as creeping thyme)survives the winter in the ground here, with the temps going well below zero. It has even survived being in a large cinder block as long as there is snow cover. HTH

o

Sorry. Didn't list zone before. I'm in 3/4.

o

Creeping thyme works here in Ohio.
Common thyme gets very large and might not work between stepping stones.But it is a perennial.
If you buy a couple creeping plants next spring, they can be divided and spaced here and there. It takes patience for them to get going, and some tending to in order to keep small weeds from invading at first. Wooly thyme is also a low grower, but don't know about its zone.
Type in Steppables in your search engine and you would get lots of ideas. This is a company that specializes in these small plants.

o

Your zone will cut down the choices considerably. The list of zone 3 hardy plants that may do well for steppables is much smaller. Herbaceous herbs like yarrow that could be mowed, if your stepping stones are flat and close to the ground, may be good, hardy choices for your zone as well.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here