Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought wrong plant... can you help me? :-)

Posted by scully931 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 2:23

Hi,

I'm sure this will be an easy one for all you herb lovers!

Last summer I bought an herb that had red flowers. The hummingbirds loved it! I saved the tag and thought I bought the same thing this year... only no flowers.

Now, I did not take the tag with me to the nursery, I went on the name alone and my memory. (Because taking the tag would have been too easy. :-)

Here is the one I would like to buy again:

Photobucket

Can anyone help me for next year? I have no idea what I bought this year and now both tags are long gone.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought wrong plant... can you help me? :-)

Difficult to tell from the pic, it might be Honeydew Melon sage. This won't bloom for me until well into autumn. I have to bring it in for the winter or treat it as an annual, as it won't overwinter in my zone 5 garden.

o

I agree with herbalbetty, i.e. it is difficult to tell from the photo. I think that it might be autumn sage salvia greggii, but I can't be sure. Does it have a square stem? Why don't you post this over on the Salvia Forum?

o

Yes! I was laying in bed last night and thought "Salvia!" haha. But, honeydew melon sage sounds right too. Okaaaay... so, guessing those might be the same plant. Going to look it all up from your links. Thank you so much! :-)

o

It looks like one of the small leaved Salvias to me too, and I'm thinking more on the lines of a greggii too.

If you're going to post this on the Salvia forum you will need a more close-up photo. A good site to see lots of beautiful photos of many Salvia's is Robins web page:

Here is a link that might be useful: Robin's website

o

Yes, it is definately one of those. I searched through hundreds of my photos to try to find a better one. At any rate, it shouldn't be too awful hard to get next year. I don't believe the nursery sells too many varieties of salvia. I'll just be sure to take a list of the red ones. The links were very helpful. Thank you!

(Sorry I didn't post this in the salvia forum. Didn't see it there. I seldom venture from the cottage garden forum.) :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here