Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I give up on my basil?

Posted by tweetspie Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 2:28

I started some seeds in a pot (a bag, actually... it was a kit, but that's another story) in March. There were a ton of seeds and I planted them all, expecting maybe 2 or 3 to grow.

They ALL grew.

I transplanted them to a big pot and put a few in the ground, then when I moved back to college, I took one from the ground in a pot.

Problem is, I didn't prune, like ever, so now I have a foot and a half tall plant with a few leaves that is starting to get a woody stem. I let it flower and seed so I could harvest seeds to use again, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should pull the plant and start new seeds, or if there was something I could do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I give up on my basil?

Once an annual has put out flowers and made seed, its purpose in life is accomplished. Pull it.

o

I'm getting mixed answers on Google. Some are saying that it's an annual. Period. Others are saying that in the right conditions (say, indoors) it's a perennial.

o

I kept my small basil plant alive all through last winter in a small pot in the kitchen (eastern sun & artificial), then replanted it outside in the spring. The leaves became thick and tough by about Feb, and the stem was very brown in the spring. Once outdoors, it was slow to get going, but eventually became bushy and productive, and I harvested it a couple more times. It was ok, but not as productive, nor as nice to look at as the newer plants.

o

While you *might* be able to keep it alive for longer than one growing season, it is an annual.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here