Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oregano problem?

Posted by margowicz 8/9 UK (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 8:08

Hi all was wondering can anyone help me again my oregano looks like it is dead but it ain't it is very percular to me.

What happened is it flowered in the summer bees about then is started turnin a blackening colour sorta like it was scortch theres plenty of freshness on it but I don't know if I should pull the dead like leaves off or just trim it down to the new growth thought you guys would/will know alot better than me

Thank you nin advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oregano problem?

It's the end of the season and it is normal for the dead flowers to end up as a blackened mess. It will self sow all around eventually. Just trim it down to the new growth. (Don't try to pull the flower stems off - they are tough and that will pull up some of the roots.) Make sure it doesn't get water logged in this wet weather.

o

Thank you as always floral

two more question should I fleece the herbs I got and/or mulch them?

o

No fleece, no mulch. Most of the Mediterranean herbs in particular do not like anything around the crowns which might retain moisture and cause rot. I don't expect you are growing anything which is not completely hardy in Ireland. Except basil, which is annual and will need starting again next year.

o

bay thyme sage rosemary oregano mints are the main ones

coriander parsley dill chives tarragon (french) are the others

o

All of those are hardy for you except the dill and coriander which are annuals so individual plants would not survive into a second season even in the gentlest climate. It's not in their genetic make up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here