Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krismast

Saffron

krismast
13 years ago

I'm thinking about growing Saffron (crocus sativus) in my backyard. The soil here tends to hold water (clay farm soil) so I thought I could grow them in a square garden type box. Would this be suitable? What is the best growing mix I could use for them?

Comments (10)

• krismast
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Also would it be too late to plant here?

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

I originally planted mine in the fall. If I recall correctly, it was November when I planted mine. So, no. Not too late to plant but too late for blooms this year.

I have heavy clay here and none of the crocus I have planted ever seemed the worse for it. I wouldn't plant them in a location where water pools but other than that, plant away.

FataMorgana

• krismast
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another reason I don't want to plant in the ground is because I don't really have the space for a bed. Would the square foot mix (peat moss, compost, and vermiculite) be sufficient?

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

I don't know. I've never tried to keep bulbs long term in a container - which this would be. I suspect that long term your best results would be if they were planted directly in the ground not to mention the bulbs may not survive the freezing temperatures if kept in a container.

I think your soil mix would retain too much water which may cause the bulbs to rot.

FataMorgana

• msfuzz
    13 years ago

I would suggest going over to the Container Gardening forum, Krismast. Look for "Al's 5-1-1 Mix" or "Al's Gritty Mix." Al is an expert at how water behaves in containers, and how to get your stuff to grow in containers. He advocates a soilless mix. The 5-1-1 is 5 parts pine bark fines (in my area, they're sold as mini bark nuggets) to 1 part sphagnum peat to 1 part vermiculite. I used it this summer in containers and got along very well.

• fluffybonbon
    13 years ago

I like to grow saffron as well but i am not sure it is from bulb or from seed?

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Doesn't it take a lot of space to get a little useable saffron? What climate does it like! I seem to remember someone in Maine having success with it.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Bulb (Called a "corm" actually.)

Certainly does take A LOT of space to get any sizable amount. That is why it is so expensive. But you can still get enough for maybe a recipe or two out of a small number of plants.

I'm in snowy & cold Western NY State and it grows for me.

FataMorgana

• eyesofthewolf
    13 years ago

krismast, I don't visit this forum much but I was looking for info on drying basil, anyhoo I bought 50 corms in june and they didn't send until early October for my area. I planted in containers with the mix msfuzz talks about Al's 5:1:1

they are to be planted 4 inches deep and at least 4 inches apart, So this the the results after 5 weeks the reason I planted in containers is that they can have no water during the summer when they are dorment or the corm will rot so if you have wet summers they will die for sure. I am sure that the people that grow them every year can tell you also what they do. Its just my 2cents I am new to this stuff also. Good luck :o)Deanna

• wvbetsy
    13 years ago

I grow saffron crocus without any difficulty. My soil tends to be clay; so, I add a lot of compost. I plant in the fall and don't expect blooms until the following year. After several years the corms have multiplied. I dig, divide and replant. This I do in the spring or summer after the foliage has died. This year there were so many corms, I had plenty to give to friends.