Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosemary indoors: mildew is winning

Posted by teryaki z5B CHICAGO (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 11 at 9:36

Brought my potted rosemary inside for the winter, and I just got back from a week-long trip to see it's COVERED in powdery mildew. I don't think I can save it. I treated and managed to beat back an outbreak during the summer, but I can't treat it as aggressively indoors now, and it's not going to get decent airflow no matter where I put it.

I came across a variety listed as "mildew-resistant" called "Gorizia", has anyone had some experience with it, or can recommend a mildew-resistant variety? I'm debating whether to start over with a new plant, or to try and graft a mildew-resistant rosemary onto 3+ years of trunk and root growth (the plant has been extremely healthy and vigorous in the same pot when the mildew hasn't been attacking it).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosemary indoors: mildew is winning

mix up a spray bottle of 1 part milk (skim works best) and 9 parts water, and spray onto the plant. it works better as a preventive but not a cure, however I used it on lots of vegetable plants i received from my neighbor this past summer, and they looked much better after i sprayed them.

but make sure you mix the milk/water solution every time you spray and don't leave it in the bottle to sour.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to spray milk to prevent powdery mildew

o

Much of your problem may be lack of air movement, most greenhouses use fans to circulate the air to prevent mildew.

o

What is the outdoor temperature at the moment where you are, teryaki? Rosemary will not be killed by temperatures just above freezing, or even a few degrees below if it is for a short period. If you can, I'd put it back outside until the very last minute and try to keep its indoor sojourn as brief as possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here