Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Bee Balm (Monarda, Bergamot) for Tea?

Posted by julia42 8b/9a Houston (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 11:23

I've been enjoying using my herbs for teas lately, and I was thinking it might be nice to have some bee balm. I know it's not the same as the bergamot used in Earl Grey, but I've heard it still makes a very nice tea.

Can I just pick any of the varieties of bee balm to plant? It seems like there are a million different hybrids, which I would guess are bred mainly for looks, not flavor. Do they all work equally well for tea, or is it better to stick with the wild variety?

Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Bee Balm (Monarda, Bergamot) for Tea?

The named garden cultivars are generally bred for size and color, not flavor. I would go with a standard, no name variety that you like the smell/taste of. Or if deciding to do some ordering from mail order/online vendors, I'd go with ones from the herb seed/plant vendors as those will probably be ones with a good taste and smell.

FataMorgana

o
RE: Best Bee Balm (Monarda, Bergamot) for Tea?

I've got lots of different kinds of bee balm and they all smell good. Should I just try different ones to see which one makes the best tea?

They are just wonderful for keeping the deer out of the roses and blueberries. So far, we have red, white, light pink, medium pink, burgandy and a pretty pink/purple. One of the red ones got 5' tall, but the rest stay at about 2' to 3' tall :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here