Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie question: annual, perennial and shrub herbs

Posted by toffee1 Z9/Sunset Z15 - Bay (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 12:29

I am in San Francisco Bay Area, z9a, Sunset 15. I am a newbie and trying to learn to grow herbs. For my area, should I understand:

Annual:
Basil
Thai Basil
Oregano
Green onion
Cilantro

Perennials:
Lemon Grass?
Stevia?
Thyme?
Mint?

Shrub
Bay Leaves
Lavender
Rosemary

Do I get them right?

By the way, the check box on "Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you." never worked for me, does it work for you guys?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie question: annual, perennial and shrub herbs

I guess I'm not following what you are asking about. Are you asking if these are good herbs for your area?

I don't use the email check box so I can't tell you if it works or not.

FataMorgana

o

• Posted by toffee1 Z9/Sunset Z15 - Bay (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 20:10

fatamorgana, I am seeking input to verify that my understanding is correct.

o

I can't really give you a whole lot of information about things in your area, but I can tell you that oregano is certainly a perennial here in Savannah, as is thyme. My rosemary is certainly a shrub. Basil is an annual. Parsley is a biennial, and most folks treat it as an annual. I'll sometimes let it grow through the second year and go to seed, as I've gotten little "volunteers" that way. Dill is an annual, and you can use both the leaves and the seeds.

And I'm with you on the e-mail issue. I have never gotten an e-mail notification of a reply to anything I've ever posted. Which sucks.

o

Green onions and bronze fennel are perennials here in my zone 6 garden...I've heard that cilantro can come back after a mild winter too...

Everything else looks right on your list!

http://www.anestforallseasons.blogspot.com

o

I gardened in the Bay Area until recently. I would reshuffle these to the following, and I also added some:

Annual:
Basil
Thai Basil
Cilantro
Chervil
Parsley (technically a biennial.)
Dill

Perennials:
Thyme
Mint
Chives
Garlic Chives

Subshrub:
Sage
Oregano
Lavender
Marjoram

Shrub:
Bay Leaves
Rosemary

Other:
Green onion - I'd call these a vegetable, not an herb, but they are annual.
Lemon Grass - Perennial, except I think that even Bay Area winters freeze it.

Stevia, I don't know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here