Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stripping thyme leaves

Posted by 45pats none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 4, 11 at 12:32

What is the best way to strip thyme leaves from the stems? Before drying? After drying? Or is it OK to include some of the stem with the crushed or ground leaves?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stripping thyme leaves

• Posted by chudak 10 San Diego (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 4, 11 at 13:02

If I'm drying them to make some dry thyme for the spice cabinet I dry the whole stems and then strip the leaves when they are dry. I try to exclude most of the stems but a little piece here and there won't hurt.

o

• Posted by 45pats 31.5N 81.2W (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 4, 11 at 14:25

The leaves are so tiny they are a bear to strip. Maybe I was looking for magic. Thanks.

o

When fresh they come off more easily if you pull down from the tip of the sprig rather than up from the base of the stem. You need to hold the tip in one hand and pull with the finger and thumb of the other. Once they are dry you can roll them around in your hands and most of the leaves will come off.

o

Totally understand what you are going through. I love thyme too but the reality of it is that if you want to use fresh thyme you have to take your "thyme". I too just hold it and slide my fingers down and MOST of it falls off when it is fresh. Not all. You have to do a little more work yourself. Good luck................Links

o

The French just tie a string around the herbs and toss it into the pot. Later discard the string with the stem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here