Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinecpa

Potted Lavender Help

equinecpa
14 years ago

I am having grief with lavender. I so want some but am having all sorts of woes...

First I planted some in my garden this year but it struggled -I decided it wasn't getting enough sun, moved it and it promptly died.

I bought another and put in some clay pots I have with herbs in them. Then the rains came and it got soaked and soaked...and died (evidently that potting medium wasn't appropriate and it kept the roots wet).

I bought another plant but since it has continued to rain I have kept it in an East Facing Window and have not yet planted it outside. It is still in the 1 qt pot I bought it in. I fear overwatering so water it only when it wilts.

So my question is: Can Lavender be kept inside or had I better plant it out? Is it a decent container plant for outside or am I better off planting it in a well drained garden (my natural garden soil is a sandy loam which should be good I belive)? If I keep it inside what size pot should I plant it in and how do I water? Is it OK to wait until it wilts?

Half of the bottom leaves have already browned....so I know I"m doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help

Carolyn

Comments (6)

• yogagrl_flwrpaintr11
    14 years ago

hello Carolyn, alot depends on the type of lavender if it will be good for inside. Your clay pot is a good idea.

Timely question, I have been going through something similar myself the past 2 months. I have Provence and keep it in part perlite/potting soil/sand however, when it was given to me I left in too heavy a soil for too long before re potting (oh, mine is potted also and kept in unheated sunroom now w/ FS) Either way, all my lower leaves are shriveling up and have been for some time. I think maybe mine has rot. Yours sounds similar but hopefully yours isn't rot.

p.s. i also would love healthy lavender but I'm just not able to give up on this one yet. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.., (and me).
    Elizabeth

• hitexplanter
    14 years ago

Wilting of the leaves on lavender is probably a little too dry. Again depends on variety whether it shows wilt from water-stress easily. Provence doesn't show water stress well in my experience and does better in a gallon or larger sized pot for me. The media(potting soil) plays a key role in container culture and I suggest going to the container forum and read about the many myths of container culture and why we fail or have success this way. In z7 provence should be ok but if you have wet winters this can be very challenging as it tends to get crown rot easily. Does the same in humid hot weather as well like I have in Texas sometime years. A raised mound or bed will help your lavender thru this most the time. Also I suggest using pea gravel or crushed granite instead of a (organic(wood leaves bark)mulch) as this helps keep the crown and lower leaves drier and lessens the chance of rot and fungal problems during wet periods. They can handle freezes in a container but if it gets in the teens for many hours it may be a problem for the roots to uptake water and so some protection of the container during these periods would be my advise(insulate the root area).
    I wish you luck and happy growing David:)

• MarisaJ1230_aol_com
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I love lavender! I just lost a plant this spring due to the frigid winter we had, usually my plant comes back every spring :( Anyway, I a planning on keeping a small flowering type lavender plant on my deck to ward off bugs. But as it flowers I would like to cut them and use them inside for aroma uses. Any suggestions on what I can do with the cut flowers?

• MajorMom
    12 years ago

Hi Marisa!

There are TONS of things you can do with the cut flowers! Because lavender is such an aromatic flower, considered quite nice for its calming attributes it is great for helping one to sleep... You can place the flowers in a vase for the subtle beauty of them, dry the lowers (preferably in a bound bunch hung upside down in a dry room) and then use them in sachets placed in drawers, under a pillow, tossed in the bath or placed near an air conditioner to send its fragrance into the room. You can place a goodly amount in hot water and allow to steep like a tea but use it as a rinse on your floors to infuse the room with the aroma. You can use as a rinse for your hair... or to keep about to repel insects. You can also just use the flowers in crafts or potpourris... the uses are endless! You can Also use the flowers, rinsed well and dried in foods or coat them in sugar for flavor additions to sweets! I hope I've helped at least a little bit or given you some ideas to spark more! Good luck!

• User
    12 years ago

I live in a cold, WET, eastern Winter zone 7 and have no problem with lavender (or rosemary for that matter). The key is to grow them in very well-draining, sandy soils that are NOT excessively fertile--they excel in poor soils, SUN, and drought (when in the ground).--Raised beds are helpful with drainage, do not water or fertilize. Frankly, I was surprised they did as well as they did after last Winter because they were literally covered with feet of snow for weeks at a time! I never had luck with rosemary indoors and wouldn't even attempt it with lavender.

• User
    12 years ago

Also, you might want to check your soil pH--they prefer more alkaline soils.