Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Microwave drying of herbs

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 12:53

Do any of you dry your herbs in the microwave ? I would like to try this but don't want to make mistakes. I would appreciate any hints as to how to go about this. Thanks in advance. My microwave is not a small one and has the rotating mechanism. Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Microwave drying of herbs

You can always try a small amount as a test to see how it works. But I personally wouldn't do it that way. Most herbs I air-dry on screens. Only a few do I ever use the food dehydrator for and those are the ones that don't air-dry fast enough or well enough.

FataMorgana

o

I would not use microwave. If I was in hurry I would use the oven.
Turn the oven on to lowest setting. When it get up there and turns the heat off automatically. then I would turn the oven off and place the herbs in the oven.....I will also leave the light on to supplement some heat. Repeat if necessary.

Right now I have some oregano and thyme in a wicker basket drying in the bedroom.

o

I dry a lot of herbs in bulk, as my Guild sells dried herb blends at our Botanic Gardens Gift Shop. The only one we do in the microwave is tarragon, since it turns such a yucky brown/black if air dried. I don't find it worth it for the rest, since they air dry just fine in our dry climate.

I take a couple paper plates for stability (I don't like how hot my glass plates get), a double layer of paper towels, an even layer of herb, then another double layer of paper towels. I start with 30 sec on HI, then rotate several plates (generally 3 at a time) to allow the herbs and paper to cool between sessions, removing the top layer while they're out of micro--replacing when in micro. Another 30 seconds at a time, until they are mostly dry to touch and starting to 'crunch'. If I get them too dry, I have had paper towels start to spark when they're no longer dampish, generally telling me the herbs are dry. I then give the tarragon some time in a mesh bag to fully dry--about a week.

My microwave is also large with the rotating plate, and I'm assuming pretty powerful, as it heats things rapidly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here