Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backhousia citriodora

Posted by ton2 Holland (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 13:05

Hallo

Perhaps I have a cheeky question, but I�ll try very carefully.

Here in the Netherlands we see every day Masterchef Australian, and today here was told that the Backhousia citriodora is a culinary plant

That you must to have in every kitchen. My wife can cook very well and now we are searching for a plant or some seeds.

Can and will you help me, please?

Perhaps you know addresses, seedsupplieers or private people who can help me to get some material.

Thank you very, very much

Kind regards

Ton Wijnen

The Netherlands

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backhousia citriodora

I am not sure you'll be able to keep a Lemon Myrtle tree, much less find one in your part of the world. It's a sub-tropical plant, you see - and I don't think Holland qualifies as 'sub-tropical'.

Nor will a mature plant fit well into your kitchen - it usually grows to about 8 metres when cultivated, but can get up to 15 metres. Just a teensy bit too large for your average window-sill.

You could contact these people for dried supplies. I have had no dealings with them:

Here is a link that might be useful: bushfoodshop

o

• Posted by ton2 Holland (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 13:50

thank you for your reaction. I know this plant grows at a big tree/shrub. But I will grow them in a pot in a warm greenhouse. I think that is possible
I am searching a little plant

o

• Posted by andy_sa South Australia (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 6:00

Hi Ton

You can keep a lemon myrtle quite happily in a pot; I've had one in a 30cm pot for a few years, and cut back/harvest twice a year, which gives me plenty for teas and cooking, and also to give away. It seems quite happy. If you can grow potted citrus (protected from frost in winter), you should be able to grow a lemon myrtle. Here we go down to about 4oC in winter, and the one we have in the garden survives quite well, too.

If you can't get hold of one, lemon grass and or lemon verbena are just as good. Let us know how you go.

o

• Posted by ton2 Holland (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 14:39

thank you.I'll try when I have some material

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here