Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Basil tastes like anise

Posted by julschao AZ, 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 2, 09 at 13:09

I've tried planting sweet basil numerous times...in the pot and in the ground. Each time I use it it smells and tastes like anise. I thought cooking it would help, so I used it in my pasta sauce. I ended up throwing the sauce out since no one would eat it.

I live in Phoenix so it gets a lot of sun. I use some potting mix and water it regularly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Basil tastes like anise

Do you start from seed or buy your basil as plants? I ask because some of the big meglo-marts that sell plants that have been mislabeled and sometimes seed that is not of good quality.

I would suggest first getting seeds from a reputable seed vendor and starting it yourself. It's easy to grow. I like heirloom varieties of basil best but that is a personal preference. Then look to where you are growing the basil. Perhaps your soil or conditions where you have it growing are too harsh for the basil. When I've had bitter veggies & culinary herbs it was because the soil was poor and the plants didn't get enough water.

FataMorgana

o

The message from Fatamorgana is really spot on. Some of the plants that may be labeled sweet basil may if fact be quite different. Basil cross-pollinates very easily and so this also creates problems with identity. Richter herbs seed catalog or Nichols nursery would be two great sources of multiple varieties of basil. Look for sweet or Italian or pesto making basil. Avoid Thai or asian forms because these are usually very strong with the anise flavor. Seeing as you are in zone 9 you could still get a few growing in pots and bring them in when the weather gets below 40-45 degree range. They really do best in the 60-90 degree weather range and like lots of sun tho your summers may call for some afternoon shade.
Happy Growing David

o

If you buy as a plant, crush a leaf and sample the smell.

Some basil varieties (true basils) have a strong overtone of licorice/anise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anethole

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here