Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut back herbs in fall?

Posted by muhnkee Colorado (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 23, 06 at 16:08

Hi all-

I have recently acquired my first home (in zone 4b-5b), which came with a beautiful garden. There are a variety of herbs such as sage, greek oregano, basil and thyme. I'm new to gardening and was wondering if I need to prune back any of these before the snow hits or if I should wait until spring. I've already pulled the basil, which I know is an annual. Would the other herbs benefit from a pruning since they seem not to have been harvested much during the summer? And would it damage them at all to harvest some for drying right now? Thanks for any input...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut back herbs in fall?

I cut my oregano down to the ground before it flowers or just after or I get a huge outbreak of the stuff in the spring. Thyme can be cut right back and any shrubs like rosemary, hysop, sage etc. will fuller if you cut them back.
Good luck
Jen

o

I leave my herbs in the ground. Depending on the winter weather ,some will survive to spring,others die back naturally and re-grow,some just disappear. I like letting nature take its course.

o

I wouldn't cut anything back right now and wait to clean them up in spring.

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here