Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pls ID this basil

Posted by surya55 7a ny (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 16:27

Hello-

Can someone please tell me which basil this is?

Thx,
Nerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pls ID this basil

Thai Basil

Has a nice, deeper licorice flavor than sweet generally. Smells lovely, though tends to flower early. Many keep just as an ornamental.

o

Agreed. My favorite thai basil is the open-pollinated "Siam Queen."

FataMorgana

o

Thank you both for such quick responses!

o

It is also called Holy Basil.

o

I though Holy Basil (Tulsi) is different.
Tulsi can get quite big but This Basil is not like that unless in the tropics that they have no cold and frost.

o

Holy basil is different. I've grown them both. This is holy basil.

FataMorgana

o

Yep- holy basil is tulsi. Now, I have another one for you all to i.d. for me. This one has multi-flowering stems instead of a single long bloom. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

o

Holy ..!!!
I have never seen such a basil. That is very unusual.

o

At a guess, I'd say Cardinal Basil, though I've not specifically grown it myself for a good comparison.

From what I know, it's more of an ornamental type variety. Not that it's not edible, just prettier than it tastes.

o

Reminds me of cinnamon basil. I grew that a few years back and I seem to recall the flowers being more full than the thai basil that the foliage looked so similar to.

FataMorgana

o

Could be Siam queen. For sure a thai basil.

o

Thanks so much- I was thinking it might be a thai siam queen basil since the photos seem to match up. The stems smelled of licorice somewhat. I "helped" myself to some seeds at an area park/garden. Will probably grow only as an ornamental.

o

The shape and color of the leaves is like Thai variety. Also flowers but only fuller, I think. Thai related basils are ornamental due to the fact that they keep flowering from early on and continue.
Actually, I have a planter that I have planted Alyssum, sangria ornamental pepper, parsley, chives and Thai basil in it.
They are all still going.

o

That's great they're still going- I've brought my herbs indoors already.

o

The second looks like the Siam Queen I grew this year.

o

Thx CaraRose. I'm thinking the same thing! I can't wait to grow it only because it's different...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here