Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
experience growing these herbs together?

Posted by lizannedeliz none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 17:53

Hello. I just got some starters for yarrow, chamomile, and red clover, thinking I may plant them together in a big barrel planter I have. Before I did that I wanted to check with people with more experience: is there any reason why those three shouldn't be together, in terms of how they grow, soil needs, etc? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: experience growing these herbs together?

Not sure on the soil conditions, but the yarrow we have in our yard is very aggressive. Not sure if it would be a problem or not.

o

I agree with previous--yarrow is aggresive like mint, and will take over and probably push out any other plants. You didn't specify what type of Chamomile you are speaking of. Some are annual, though good at self seeding.

o

I ended up putting the yarrow in its own container, and the red clover and chamomile in the barrel. I believe the chamomile is Roman Chamomile, that's pretty much all I know. Thanks for your input!

o

Red clover is a short lived perennial. I'm not sure how well this will do in a container, but try it and let us know how it works. If you are looking to harvest flowers for use. you'll need a fair sized patch of it to get any real amount. I would suggest seeding a patch if that is what you intend.

Yarrow can spread but but it is very nice - even in your lawn. Read up on herbal lawns.

Chamomile is nice. I've had good luck with german chamomile (Matricaria recutita). Not such good luck with Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile).

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here