Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kissingfrogs2003

need help with plant suggestion

kissingfrogs2003
13 years ago

I have 2 of these 5.5 inch pots:

{{gwi:52185}}

I am looking for something aromatic/fragrant that I can grow to use in aromatherapy type stuff like baths, stress relief oils, etc. I was hopign for scents like lavender, eucalyptus, spearmint but have discovered these are not conducive to smaller pots.

In addition to needing something that can handle small pots I am planning to grow these on a windowsill, so they need to be ok with filtered light (I'd guess 6 hours a day).

PLEASE HELP! Any suggestions of what kind of plants to get AND bonus question, where to get them already seeded?

THANKS!

Comments (7)

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Most all herbs are not going to handle those tiny pots and most all herbs are not going to handle indoors on a windowsill either. We have answered indoor culture questions ad nauseam here - I linked in some of the many threads with it in the link below so you can read those suggestions and comments.

I don't blame people for wanting to try it. It's a really nice idea. But it doesn't work unless you are going to really invest in extra lighting and more since most plants require conditions that cannot be had on a windowsill.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Herbs - Growing Indoors

• kissingfrogs2003
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok so if herbs are a no go- any suggestions of fragrant/aromatic flowers that would work in the conditions?

(and yes, I realize I am asking this on an herbs forum but I am desperate to do something with these pots!)

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

I try to keep a small pot of something blooming on the kitchen table. I usually look for plants ready to bloom in smaller pots in nurseries, flower shops, even the grocery store. I drop the pot right down into the pretty pot so that it can be easily removed when finished blooming and replaced with another.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Are those actually planting pots, ie with drainage holes, or are they cache pots with no holes? If they have no holes you will need to put another pot inside them or your plants will become waterlogged. Fata is right - they are really too small to plant anything in long-term. I'd go with westelle's suggestion of popping temporary plants in them. In your illustration they have a few narcissi or a hyacinths. Both of these would give you scent.

Or, since you are in z10, use tham as scented candle holders and grow your herbs outdoors.

• kissingfrogs2003
    Original Author
    13 years ago

after doing some research it looks like paperwhite narcissus might give scent, work well in the small pots (which have drainage hole), and be easy to maintain.

Any suggestions where to get these already growing? I dont really have the know how/patience to work from a bulb.

Also, how long do they last?

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

Narcissus and like plants bloom for a brief period of time.... and only once at that. You could do succession plantings in other small pots so you can replace the spent bulbs with fresh.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Can't help with where to get paperwhites already growing because I am not in the States but you could hardly find an easier bulb so I'd try it if I were you. Just buy a few bulbs (between 1 and 3 per pot). Fill the pot with bulb fibre or other compost sold for container plants. Press the bulb into the surface until the compost comes about half way up the bulb, water, put the pot in a good light and wait. They grow very fast and might need a stick or other support especially if they get too little light and grow tall. The cooler you keep them (short of freezing), the longer they will last. In a heated room they will go over faster. Unlike other bulbs they do not need to be buried, have a cold period or experience darkness to grow. These instructions are only for PWs not other bulbs.