Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about freezing chives

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 11, 06 at 18:12

Hi,
After washing and drying chives (whole stems), do I put all of them in one bag, or do I only put enough in a bag for a single use? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about freezing chives

Unless you want dozens of itty bitty bags floating around your freezer, put them all into one bag. BUT squash the pile flat like a pancake (make several pancakes if you have enough chives). The pancakes can then be transferred to a container, with plastic wrap between layers. This way you can easily snap off the amount you need, without having to attack a mountain with a jackhammer. Alternatively, if you are going to add chives to something like a stew, freeze them in water in an ice-cube tray. No need to thaw. Just plop in an ice-cube or two.

o

Hi daisy,
Sorry I'm having trouble understanding this!
I don't have tons of it, but enough for a couple bags. If I flatten the bags out, could I reach into one bag, and just break off the amount of chives that I want, after they're frozen, and return the bag to the freezer?
Also.......if I do it in ice cube trays, do I just snip them into small pieces that fit into a tray and then fill with water? Thanks!

o

Freezer: Just snap off what you need.

Cubes: Fill each cube in the try with cut chives and water. Freeze. Transfer to a good freezer bag or container. Then just use a cube or 2 whenever needed.

o

Do they need to be dried first?

o

THanks Jack.
Scrappy..........I'm assuming they can be fresh before putting them in the freezer and ice cube trays. After you wash the fresh ones, though, I think I'd dry them off good first..........at least the ones just going into a baggy in the freezer.

o

They don't need to be dried first.

o

Thanks! I don't know that I'd ever heard of dried chives, but I never prepared herbs before! I'll have to get mine picked and froze before they freeze(?). heehee
My daughter (8yrs old) decided she LOVES sour cream and chives on her baked potatoes! YUM! :)

o

This is what I do:
I cut my chives in half and then lay them all out on a sheet to freeze them. Then I scoop them all off quickly into a zip-lock and put back in the freezer. The first step seems to prevent them from sticking together.

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here