Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boston3381

what herbs will survive the winter??

boston3381
13 years ago

if some one chould be so kind to give me a list of herbs that will survive the winter in a green house around *38 .the green house dose have heat, but we try not to turn it on, but if we have to we will.

we have a lot of 3" pots of sage, tarragon, parsley, lavender and some mints left over..i was thinking of puting them in 1 gallon hanging pot and deck boxes for next spring?? will they make it in through cold and what other types of herbs will surivive this cold? we grow abought 40 different types herbs this is the first year with alot left over :o( ..so we are looking for a way to save some for next spring

P.S. i dont want to turn the heat on, so keep in mind that it will be always be 38 to 40 degs ..im in rhode island are winters are hit and miss...

Comments (8)

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

sage - garden sage will survive my winter in the ground with no protection so long as it has great drainage. So I would assume it would survive in your setup.

parsley - is a biennial and not worth the effort to overwinter

lavender - what kind?

some mints - what kind?

FataMorgana

• boston3381
    Original Author
    13 years ago

fatamorgana , the mints are peppermint,spearmint,Pineapple,and Chocolate.. sage is Tricolor, golden, garden, Purple...

FataMorgana of the sages, i whould think that the golden whould be the hardest to keep in the winter??? am i rong

also what abought oregano vinaigrette or up right??

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

The colored sages do not winter over here very well even in the greenhouses I visit. The only time I have seen them winter over was when the tops were cut back and only the center part of the plant was alive in the spring. The problem with the greenhouse would not be the cold but the heat from the sun during the day which would cause tender growth leading which could freeze if it became very cold.

If the plants look nice right now I would be tempted to sell as potted plants to be used for holiday cooking. That way they are out of your greenhouse and someone else's responsibility. I grow my garden sage in the ground and use the leaves all winter. I do not do any cutting until next spring when I see what has survived. The bare stems where I have picked the leaves from seem to provide some shelter to keep the main part of the plant alive. When I used to trim back before winter I would always lose the sage plant.

You may find that doing cuttings now would produce plants for spring even if your pots die.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

I wish I could help you but I'm the wrong zone and grow my herbs in the ground. I hope you find all the information you need.

• lily51
    13 years ago

Herbs in a greenhouse like to stay warmer than 38. At lease mine did.

You might leave the perennials in the ground, then as they come up next year, divide and pot and then sell them.
    Let us know what happens... I tried herbs in greenhouse in winter,and they did not do well. Started some a bit later when it was easier to keep the greenhouse temps up, and they all grew well.
    Think this year I will start them in the house,and instead of transferring to greenhouse right away, keep them in the growing rack with lights.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

FataMorgana of the sages, i whould think that the golden whould be the hardest to keep in the winter??? am i rong

Quite a variety of hardiness zones are listed for "golden sage" so I honestly can't say. But I agree with maifleur, colored sages are not a robust and hardy as the standard old garden sage.

Peppermint & spearmint are quite hardy and will survive. For other mints, see link.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb - Herbs - Overwintering Mints

• scarletdaisies
    13 years ago

I knew a lady who grew a fig tree and every years she dug the fig tree up, buried it, covered it in hay on top, then replanted the thing at the beginning of the year. I wish I knew of a direct method this could be done on what types of plants, but in my understanding, it can be done to any plant. You might try to take one of each, bury them two feet, see if they are still alive for next year. Just a suggestion. It does work on cabbage plants from what I've read, turning the plant root up, then burying it, so maybe that method would work too.

Does anyone know what method of gardening that is, and where do you get books on the guidelines of which plant can be used? I'm not highjacking the thread, but it would be useful in your situation.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Maybe one of the winter gardening forums could offer some suggestions?

FataMorgana