Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavenlyfarm

HELP! Spearmint or Applemint or?

heavenlyfarm
9 years ago

Hi,

Okay so this year, I've decided to try more things like cooking, canning, making sauces and teas from my garden! Well I was thinking about making tea and I thought I had Spearmint....We have the more glossy leaves spearmint growing at the end of our driveway and in the herb garden which is a nusiance and I pull all the time! But we have had a wooly, fuzzier leafed spearmint growing in one of our gardens. It spreads but not as aggressively and it was easily weeded out last year when I moved part of it to a new garden.(I confined it to a pot to make sure it didn't spread)

Anywhos, I looked up my wooly spearmint to find that wooly mint is called Applemint....so which do I have? I honestly have to say it has smelled like spearmint I thought. Maybe I just can't smell the difference? I would love to make iced tea or hot tea with dried leaves over winter but I'm not sure of what I have now!!!

Btw, I did look up pics of Apple Mint and thats exactly what it looks like!!! So am I just smelling wrong? I can tell the difference when I smell Pineapplemint or Chocolate mint in my garden....
~Michael
heavenlyfarm

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner