Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
greek oregano - questions on it "dying" back

Posted by david883 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 21:00

Alright so I have two greek oregano plants (one planted last year, the other this year). Last year and, now, this year the plants have stayed pretty low growing until late in the summer when it began growing "tall" (maybe 10-12") for a few weeks. At that point, basal foliage starts growing and the taller, woodier growth, starts dying off. I haven't seen anything online mentioning any of this so I'm wondering if this is normal or I've got some crazy growing conditions that are making these plants do wacky things? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: greek oregano - questions on it "dying" back

The taller stems sound as if it was getting ready to flower. Did it? That's perfectly normal. Clip over the plants with your shears after flowering. You might want to do this in spring rather than autumn if you have cold winters. I harvest the flower stems for use in the kitchen.

o

Yes, they did flower (or start to). I'm usually pretty good at keeping the whole thing pinched back but towards the end of the summer I get a little lazy and it starts getting taller and trying to flower. I wont cut anything back just yet - I'll wait until spring.

Thanks!!!

o

Growing (Tall), flowering, producing seeds, in plants world that is "mission accomplished" in some cases.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here