Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mint always tastes wrong?

Posted by emcd124 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 21:10

Problem: My home grown mint never tastes anything like the beautiful mint I buy at the grocery store. Too strong, too sharp, more like nasty cheap toothpaste. What am I doing wrong?

I've tried growing three different times now, from three different starter plants from reputable nurseries. twice in zone 7 and now once in zone 5. I have tried both plants labelled as peppermint and spearmint.

I hear over and over again that mint is so easy to grow it is practically a weed, that you have to take care that it doesnt over run your garden by planting it in a sunken pot etc etc. So I have only grown it in pots in potting soil.

So far all I can think to explain it is:
1. The grocery is a different cultivar of mint, not usually available in nurseries
2. The taste of mint improves in poor quality soil, and store-bought potting soil has too many nutrients
3 Something else?....

Any insight or suggestions you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mint always tastes wrong?

The nice mint you buy at the grocery store is spearmint. Mints sold by nurseries are usually spearment, but they can be peppermint, pennyroyal, or numerous other oddball mint varieties.

It does best in full sun (at least 8 hours of direct, unfiltered sunlight daily) and in well-drained soil that doesn't have too much nitrogen fertilizer. If you're using cheap hardware-store potting soil like Hyponex, try getting a decent one like Ocean Forest.

Mint fills a pot pretty quickly, so if it comes in a 3" or 4" pot, let it put out a few stems and then move it to a larger pot. If it's rootbound, tease out the outer roots before repotting.

Water thoroughly when the top 1/2" of soil is bone-dry. Don't let it dry out or remain constantly moist.

Peat-based potting soils sometimes need to be rehydrated by immersing the pot up to about 1" below the soil surface in lukewarm water for 30 minutes or so. If the pot feels light, needs frequent watering, or is dry below the surface after a thorough watering, it needs this treatment.

o
RE: Mint always tastes wrong?

How much sun, how much water, the minerals in the soil, the minerals that aren't in the soil, and so many other things are turned into that mint growing in your garden. Each one of those things contributes to the unique character the plant growing in your garden has as opposed to the mint in your neighbor's garden down the street - which probably tastes different.

Try different soil. Try a different location in your yard. Try a different amount of water. Try starting with a plant you like the smell/taste of to begin with.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here