Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dharma5433

Herb Garden Prep

Dharma5433
10 years ago

I'm wanting to start a good herb garden for next year. I have a fair amount of herb selected for consideration but am more interested in making sure I make the bed ready!

Would anyone have any experience in preparing a herb garden? I believe most are best planted in spring but I'm sure there is some variation on that. What about organic material??

Any other notes I should know??

Comments (8)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

HERB(s) is broad category. But when a gardener is talking about "herb" is can consist of Culinary and/or medicinal. Some of them can fit in both categories.

From another perspective, There are:
    --ANNUAL herbs that last just one season. Such as Basil, Cilantro, chives , Parsley(lasts 2 years).

--PERENNIAL: They come back year after year. (Some might not overwinter in harsh cold climates). Such as Thyme, Oregano, Sage, Rosemary. So when planting these herbs must think about few years down the road and how big they can get. Also they have a different requirements for watering and fertilizing. Just an example, you should not grow cilantro and chive, ... next to thyme.

SOIL and DRAINAGE: Most herbs like well drained soil. That is why traditionally most herbs gardens are raised beds, ESPECIALLY where there is a lot of rain.
    Another requirements of herbs is neutral to alkaline soil. and very little fertilizing.

So then your first attempt is to design and construct a garden. Also consider the location wit at least 6 to 8 hours of sun.

In your zone the following could be grown in the fall too but at this point it is too late: PARSLEY, CHIVES, CILANTRO,

Gardening is like swimming. Nobody can teach you how to swim, unless you jump in and practice. And that will take time.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

My number #1 suggestion to new gardeners, start small.

Why? Your garden will grow with your interest and experience. Small gardens are the easiest to manage and care for - in other words, fun. Mistakes are as not costly or as hard to change with small gardens. Even if it isn't a mistake, small ones are easier to change.

#2, do your homework. Read up on the things you would like to try. Find out what they are like to grow in **YOUR** region. Plants don't grow the same for everyone. Also find out their requirements and work with those requirements. Try hard to find plants to fit your conditions rather than trying to make plants work in conditions not to their liking. You are more successful in the garden that way.

#3 go organic. Try to do your gardening in the most sustainable, earth-friendly ways. Better for you. Better for the earth. And in same cases, it can be cheaper. Cheaper? Yup, make your own compost. Hand-pick insect pests when possible instead of pesticides. etc.

#4 The garden is a source of endless second chances. Even the most experienced gardeners kill plants. These less than positive experiences are great teachers - learn from your mistakes and try again.

#5 I suggest new gardeners start with plants for all but those plants that resent transplanting (dill, cilantro, etc.). After a little garden experience, start your own plants (where it is reasonable) from seed. Start with easy ones and move on from there. There are some great plants only available via seeds.

FataMorgana

• Dharma5433
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank ya'll!! I'm not actually a beginner gardener but I haven't gotten to mess with herb gardens very much and especially from scratch! the spot I need to place this garden is a fairly good sized one and in a good spot for the most part; and I don't have the option of making it smaller due to it is my job. Owners won't freak out on me if it goes bad but I'd like to make a good start..lol!

Any other information about really anything is great. I'm am gathering info to get all this ready for next season.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I have good luck growing my herbs in pots and window boxes. I tried to grow sage and thyme in the ground this year and I almost lost the sage. I grow rosemary, thyme, parsley- in a windowbox and sage. My Holy Basil and regular basil do the best in the ground.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

ok....well, most commonly grown culinary herbs (esp. Mediterranean herbs) do best in lean, well-draining soil. Skip the fertilizers. Skip heaps of compost and mulch.

FataMorgana

• Noel.101
    10 years ago

Visiting London in the spring I saw an episode of Gardener's World on prepping a Mediterranean Herb bed (see link, go through the clips to watch the video). I came home and tried it with amazing results. It has oregano, sage, rosemary, thyme, French tarragon, marjoram, lavender, and calendula. Everyone who sees my garden focuses on the herb bed. I started with seeds and small plants and they are all so healthy.
    Chives are also beautiful perennials that are easy to grow. Parsley is another great herb that makes a pretty functioning plant. Just buy the plants, parsley can be difficult to grow from seed. And no garden is complete without basil. These plants can all grow in regular garden soil and are gratifying for the homeowner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prepping a Med. herb bed

• Earthendelight
    10 years ago

Fertilizer ----------- Nitrogen - Phosphorus - Potassium (N-P-K)
    Dried Blood--------- 13 - 1.5 - 0
    Kelp ------------------ 3 - 22 - 0
    Cottonseed Meal---- 6 - 2.6 - 2
    Cattle Manure--- 0.5 - 0.3 - 0.5
    Horse Manure---- 0.6 - 0.3 - 0.5
    Chicken Manure--- 0.9 - 0.5 - 0.8

Organic spices suppliers

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic spices suppliers

• lkzz
    10 years ago

The garden is a source of endless second chances.

Indeed! I live by that Fata...it eliminates any stress.

Linda K.