Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preserving mint

Posted by deanriowa 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 07 at 21:46

What are the methods for preserving mint for use in the winter and next spring?

I would like to use the mint in food and teas.

thanks,

Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preserving mint

For tea, I just leave it out in a dish on the counter to dry over a couple of days.

o

I think dried mint is like dried hay. Freeze it instead. Best to chop it first, and make a flat pancake of it. Freeze pancakes in layers divided by plastic wrap. It's easy to snap off suitable-sized pieces of the pancake as required.

o

Mints do dry quite nicely. You can hang them or spread them on screens or paper towels. Always dry it out of direct sunlight otherwise you're going to loose more of the volatile oils in the mint and you will have stuff with little flavor.

I'd suggest trying both freezing and drying. I personally like the taste of dried mints in teas but everyone is different. See what works for you and go with that method.

FataMorgana

o

• Posted by batya Israel north (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 10, 07 at 11:44

Mint, basil, parsley, cilantro, etc.....I like to put a bunch in the food processor or blender with a little water, just enough to make a slurry, thick-like, and then fill up an ice cube tray and freeze it. When it's frozen pop out the cubes and put them in a plastic bag, and back into the freezer. Anytime you want some, just take out a cube. Batya

o

I always have had excellent success hanging mint to dry for tea in my nice, dry basement. Spearmint, peppermint, and mountain mint all retain their flavor just fine when dried.
As soon as the leaves are as dry as cornflakes, I put them into canning jars, label, and store in a dark place. If I have dried a lot of mint, I seal vacuum-seal the extra jars so it really stays fresh a long time. CK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here