Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing white sage

Posted by nclono none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 6, 11 at 21:55

I have several white sages (salvia apinea) planted in the ground, and live in zone 6. I hear that the plant is native to Southern California, but also that it grows in North Dakota. Does anyone know about cold tolerance? Should I cut it back and mulch heavily, or let it be? Will it lose leaves this winter? I've grown other sages, but this is a first with white sage. I can find very little info on the web, if anyone has any experience with the plant I'd love to hear your stories! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing white sage

If it indeed grows wild/survives naturally in your location and the sage you have is from that stock, then it would be hardy. Otherwise, I read that Salvia apiana is hardy to zone 8 so it would not be hardy in your location.

Info on the web - "salvia apiana" got me 98,000 hits at google. I think that is plenty of reading material for you! :)

FataMorgana

o
RE: growing white sage

definitely doesn't grow naturally here, i bought the seeds and babied them as seedlings.

the internet tells me a lot about the plant, its uses, and its origins, and everyone says its iffy to try and grow them in places that get below 20, but that it is possible.

just looking for tips on whether folks have had success, and if i should cut it back, mulch it, or just cross my fingers...

o
RE: growing white sage in the frozen north

Zone 6, which I am officially in, gets below 20 degrees F a lot throughout the winter season - sometimes for weeks at a time. I'm sure your zone 6 isn't much different.

You may be able to bump up a zone with a microclimate, but not multiple zones. I would not try to over winter them outdoors. You may be able to over winter them, perhaps in an unheated garage or porch. I've done that with italian figs (not hardy in my zone).

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here