Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do you pulverize stevia after drying

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 22:07

I hung my stevia up to dry and it has done so. Now what do I do in order to use it for sweetening. Is it safe? I guess that would be true of others as well. How do you get them so you can use them? Thanks for any help. I just am dubious of using them safely. Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do you pulverize stevia after drying

No one is answering barb - so I'll stick my oar in. I have never grown Stevia, so I don't really know how it feels when dried. But for all the other herbs I dry I just rub them between my hands and they crumble easily. I don't think they will need 'pulverising'. I don't see why there would be any safety issues, unless you had hung them to dry in a polluted environment.

o

Some health food stores used to sell powdered stevia leaves. I still have some from years ago. You just use it to taste for something like tea. It is a little bitter if too much is used and it's best mixed with another sweetener, IMO. The powdered leaves will give whatever you use it in a green tint(so in tea it wouldn't matter). I still use it occasionally if I'm making something with artificial sweetener and I'll combine it with other sweeteners to taste.
I wouldn't rub it between my hands, though, as the sweetness will 'cling' for a while. A mortar and pestle or coffee grinder(or rolling pin and ziplock bag)would work, but let the powder settle before opening a grinder if that is used. HTH

o
re:RE: how do you pulverize stevia after drying

There's a new thread on baking with stevia that just popped up in the cooking forum that you might want to keep an eye on if you need ideas for uses...

Here is a link that might be useful: baking with stevia

o

I have used homegrown Stevia before and I made "tea" out of the leaves and then used it for sweetening tea. Agreed, it does have a little bitter twang, but home grown is less twang than processed stevia that you buy. The problem with stevia is that it is different potencies from plant to plant, and also, I think, from year to year depending on growing conditions so a lot of using homegrown stevia is trial and error. I would think powdered stevia leaves might not sweeten uniformly but I don't know for sure since I never tried that. Good luck! --Ilene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here