Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Oregano survive winter OUTDOORS in Zone 6?

Posted by kvbch Zone6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 29, 06 at 22:39

My 2 two old oregano plants did very, very well this year.
Can I leave them outside in my Zone 6 garden ?

Or, should I did up and take indoors and grow under grow lights ?
Many thanks.

K.B.
Zone 6
Southern Illinois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Oregano survive winter OUTDOORS in Zone 6?

Yeah, it should do okay in zone 6. :o)

o

I'd mulch well. Mine has only occassionally survived in Central Ohio. (Recently upgraded from zone 5 to 6!)

o

Mine has survived years in a zone 4!! It is on the south side of the house, but I have to yank it out as it tends to take over if left unchecked.
Mary

o

Greek Oregano does very well in WET zone 6/7.I've got mine mulched with seaweed this year.I'll see how that works next spring.

o

Hi K.B.!

I have a verigated variety of Oregano that has over wintered for two years in an East facing location, about 10' from the house. It stays pretty close to the ground - not a big bushy thing.

If you have a couple plants, why experiment with one?

Best wishes!

PoseyPlanter

o

Do you know what type you have? Saying you have oregano is like saying you have rice. There are too many types for different usages without additional information. Somethings sold as oregano are a couple of types of tropicals. Verigated's are not as hardy as some of the others. The oregano I planted in 1993 is still here but the clump is getting smaller each year. I need to move next year.

o

South slope, here and zone 4/5. It is very very prolific and can't get rid of it. ... soooo it does very well, lol

o

Oregano and mint used to show up in the same area every summer until I started to heavily till the soil. Because oregano can set seeds, they can survive and sprout the next year. I have the same issue with mammouth dill, and have not actually planted any for a few years. Once the seeds drop, into soil, they can survive cold winters and will sprout very early the next spring. Because I allowed my oregano to blossom, as well as the thyme, I think they mey return this summer in the same area. If not, I'll just start up a couple of new seedlings just in case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here