Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

evergreen herbs zone 7

louisianagal
15 years ago

I am looking for a plant to put in the front of a border in spots where the bed curves out. Should be low growing. I want an evergreen that takes full sun, southern exposure, zone 7b, north Mississippi. I thought of herbs. Have 2 kinds of thyme, chives, and others elsewhere in this garden, and lavendar, chives, sage in other gardens.

I am thinking of using thyme again, but want other suggestions, if any. I am not an expert on herbs, by any means.

Thank you,

laurie

Comments (9)

• plantermunn
    15 years ago

I am in zone 6 we have had a string of warm years.

I have had good lock with bronze fennel, lavander,sage, rue and a rosemary thet lived a few years.

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

Are you looking for culinary herbs, medicinal herbs, or either?

FataMorgana

• louisianagal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would consider either.
    Laurie

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago

How about a rosemary plant? You can get an upright or a creeper a/k/a prostrate.

Arp Rosemary: Although rosemary is considered a tender perennial in most plant books, 'Arp' Rosmarinus officinalis has proven winter hardy as far north as Washington, D.C. The plant is a relatively slow grower; heights eventually reach 36" to 48" and widths of 18" to 24", and it likes well-drained soil in a sunny loction.

And best of all, rosemary is a great culinary herb that can be used in many recipes. It is one of my top five herb favorites.

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

I found these just flipping through a book on herbs - rosemary, thyme, sage, lavender, bay, hen & chicks, bayberry, eucalyptus, agave, artemisia, juniper, holly, citrus, cedar, tea (Camellia sinensis), boxwood, aloe, gardenia, oregon grape, patridge berry, bamboo (sort of evergreen), pine (various), etc.....

Check for hardiness and culture. Go to a library and find a copy of The Herb Society of America New Encyclopedia of Herbs and Their Uses by Deni Brown. You are sure to find more plants that retain their foliage.

FataMorgana

• river_city
    10 years ago

Another nice guide is "The Beginner's Herb Garden", also by the Herb Society of America.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Beginner's Herb Garden

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

When you say low-growing, how low are you thinking? Many of the herbs do grow up more. (Someone mentioned bronze fennel, which is a beautiful useful and ornamental, but tall and invasive) You could give the creeping rosemary a try--it would be pretty and useful. You're at the low temp end of hardiness, but if you're talking south and full exposure, you may have the right microclimate for it. Thymes are fun--there are so many to pick from. I don't know how they stay during winter for you, as an evergreen. Orange balsam, lemon, variegated--you can go with some different types, or there are all the ornamentals to pick from.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

And then there is oregano, makes good ground cover.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You want LOW growing, Not to take over, ...I will scratch rosemary , oregano and lavender out.
    My suggestion is either thyme or sage. Sage is a better evergreen than thyme and has a nice silver green color.