Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celeste_jackson1792466

Basil pests

Celeste
9 years ago

I've been rehabilitating a basil plant from my moms garden. When I found it, it was leggy, woody, yellowish & my mom had plucked all the big leaves off & pretty much left it for dead. I took it inside & with some pruning & fertilization it's got tons of new growth, it looks healthy and is making a full recovery. I know that it is often said that you shouldn't bring in herbs from the garden because they bring pests and disease inside and the plants don't do well in low lighting but it's been really fun watching the plant come back to life and I don't want to get rid of it. The only problem I've had is that I've found two of these bugs in the plant, the first time was right after I brought it inside so I didn't think much of it but the second was a few weeks later. I've never seen anything like them. They're not doing much harm to the plant, I can only see a few nibbles on one of the leaves, I just hate bugs & would like to know how easily they spread, if they bite, how easy it is to get rid of them & whether I can still use this basil in my cooking. I'd prefer any homemade, non harmful recipes for insecticide on the off chance that I can still eat the leaves but really any advice is welcome. I also know it would probably be easier & just as cheap to buy a new plant but I've really grown fond of this one.

Comments (2)