Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ruta odorata

Posted by imabirdnut 7b North Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 7:35

I have had a terrible time keeping Ruta graveolens here in North Texas...it constantly dies! I've tried almost every part shade bed in my yard because of the heat we have in the summer! I also tried elevating the bed for better drainage...to no success!
It was recommended that I try Ruta odorata but I lost the email of the nice gentleman that offered to share seeds with me! I haven't been able to find a seed source online, either!
Does anyone have seeds that I could trade for or send a SASBE? I am a novice butterfly gardener & herb gardener. I am trying to find host plants for Giant Swallowtails & rue is one of their's.
Thanks, Lila

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ruta odorata

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 9:55

Maybe you could try to buy a small plant and put it in a container at first. A nice large pot would do, but maybe a smaller one that you could lift. Try out different parts of your garden to see where it's happiest. I killed three before I found out where it wanted to live, and now it's very happy. Gets eaten nearly to the nubs each late summer by the caterpillars with the orange and black stripes, then grows again like nothing happened. Mine is now in the ground, in a dedicated herb bed that was lasagna'ed for a few months before planting. Our heat is probably like yours so I thought I'd put my two cents in.......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here