Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hyperion8b

dill & frost

hyperion8b
14 years ago

I haven't grown dill before, but just got some seed as I've learned it's good for attracting beneficial insects. Apparently it does well in cool weather, but what about frost? We typically don't get much below 20 degrees here.

Comments (9)

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

Are you asking if dill is killed by frost? It can tolerate pretty cold temperatures but not hard freezes.

FataMorgana

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

FataMorgana, what is "Hard freez" in degrees of -F?
    I have some right now. They are doing fine so far. But will they survive, say 20F? Of course ,we are talking about night time lows now and then and not day in and day out.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

North of the frost-line "hard freeze" and "killing frost" are pretty much universally understood. But if you need a definition, here is the definition for killing frost from the University of Saskatchewan, Dept. of Plant Sciences:

killing frost
    A frost severe enough to damage or kill crops. Different crops have different frost thresholds. ie. Killing frost for melons is 0°C; killing frost for cabbage is -3°C.

We had our killing frost more than a month ago and even some snow. While some things like calendula and cole crops are still alive in the garden, most plants including the dill have long ago succumbed to the cold temperatures.

It is my experience that dill can survive some light frost, it can not survive the killing cold temperatures.

FataMorgana

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

cyrus, though there are many definitions of the term 'hard freeze', you can go by a general rule of thumb. If the temperatures drop to 24-26 degrees for several hours (less than 6), a hard freeze has occurred. Use this same rule to expand on that: if the temperatures fall to 30 degrees for 24 hours, you could consider that a hard freeze.

Frost (which is different than a freeze) can occur at temperatures above freezing (32F), if the humidity and wind levels are working against you.

As FataMorgana says, your dill cannot survive in freezing temperatures.

• hyperion8b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks.
    I was just wondering whether it can survive freezing temperatures - whether to plant it now or wait until spring. Or, to just go ahead and sow the seed now and let Nature take its course.

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Hyperion,
    We're in Texas also, 8b in Central Texas. We have dill in our herb garden now, but it will not survive the first freeze (not frost, when you see sparkles on the grass, but freeze when plants turn black overnight). Plant half your dill seed now--it will come up in the spring when conditions are right, and when you see the little dill fuzzies coming up, plant the rest.
    A word of warning--a little dill goes a long way and you can end up with a lot more than you can use. Also, it self-seeds, so planting dill next year won't be a problem if you let one or two of your plants go to seed at the end of the season (which is June around here since dill can't stand the heat).

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Thanks fellows.
    So I gather that any freezing (even around 32F) can kill dills. In this case I will have to pull them up before that happens. But sofar, few dills that I have planed experimentaly, are doing fine and have survived low 30s-F.
    Fenugreek and peppers are similar, I wuld think.
    I may try to transplant them into potts and keep them in the cold frame, to shelter for a while longer.

• leira
    14 years ago

We've had a frost, and my dill is still alive. Granted, it bolted some time ago, so it's not actually doing me much good!

Part of it depends on how sheltered the location of your dill is.