Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where/how to cut cilantro

Posted by rweakley 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 10:33

I've searched and searched with no success for this discussion.

I have a bunch of cilantro plants that I will soon be ready for harvest. I don't know exactly how to do so. The plants are one stem up to the cotyledons and then several stems producing leaves above that point.

I assume that I don't want to cut below the cotyledons right? I cut a single stem with a leaf on it just to see what it would do, and it got a little brown where I cut it. It doesn't show any signs of continuing to grow. So when you cut the cilantro does it just throw up new stems instead of continuing to grow the cut ones?

So the basic question here is where on the plant can I cut? And how much can I cut? Can I cut down to the soil or do some leaves need to remain intact for new growth to emerge?

Thanks for the help!
-Randy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where/how to cut cilantro

Rule of thumb, don't cut more than 1/3 of the living plant material off if you want the plant to survive.

If you cut the cilantro to the soil line, be prepared to plant more seed. You need to leave enough for the plant to survive if you want it to push more growth.

FataMorgana

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 13:36

Cut an entire stem. New ones grow.

o

If I understood the OP correctly, the plants were very young and only had one stem. Cutting that one stem to the ground will probably kill such a young plant.

FataMorgana

o

@Morgana--No, there are several stems protruding from each plant above the cotyledons. I went ahead and cut the plants in half heightwise. I have about 30 plants growing in a 6"D x 6"H container (I've heard they like being crowded). It gave me enough to throw in the food processor with some Pace salsa...nice little addition. That left each plant with some leaves left to provide energy to the plant.

I guess the cut stems just kinda sit there and dry up while new ones are being produced?

o

I just grab a handful and hack with the scissors. Cilantro is sort of like leaf lettuce, you should succession plant about once a month during its cool growing season.

o

Got a second batch growing, just starting to show true leaves. I planted about half as many in the same size planter to see if they would grow more vigorously. I did a little experiment and cut one plant from my first batch nearly to the soil. It's actually growing a new stem of leaves :)

o

Experience is a good teacher in the garden - we learn from both our successes and failures! The garden is also generous with many second chances - though sometimes new plants or seeds are required!! I'm glad to hear it is going well for you.

FataMorgana

o

Cilantro takes forever to germinate, sort of like parsley, but once it's growing it's very easy. I just spread it over a spot that I want to grow it, lightly cover with soil and keep damp. It can take up to three weeks to emerge. But, once it does, it should grow all through the cool season and I just chop handfuls for salsas. When I get too much, I make mint/cilantro chutney which is wonderful with homemade garlic naan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here