Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Savory

Posted by leira 6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 10:36

I was just given a Winter Savory plant, and I'm wondering whether to plant it outdoors now, or try to over-Winter it indoors, and put it out in the Spring.

I'm in zone 6, in the Boston area. We've had a couple of frosts, but the really cold weather hasn't set in yet. Of course, this being New England, the really cold weather could set in tomorrow, for all I know...there's really no way to be sure.

The plant is desperately in need of re-potting, in any case, as it's in a pot that's far too small, and it's badly rootbound.

The plant has been living indoors recently, and has a bit of new growth on it, which makes me concerned about trying to establish it outdoors.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Savory

Leira,
We are in zone 8b in Texas, so take that into account in considering my advice. We have winter savory in the ground, evergreen and a wonderful herb.
In your case I would put it in the ground in a protected area, loosening the roots to correct the rootbound situation, and making sure it is well settled in. If there are freezing temps during the week after you plant it, turn a plastic pot over it to cover it overnight. The new growth is going to be lost, but don't worry, you'll get more in the spring.
Winter savory roots in where a branch touches the ground, so you can propagate it easily.
More people should grow and use winter savory. You're smart to get some!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here