Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marymargaret21

starting herbs from seed in spring

marymargaret21
14 years ago

I was thinking of getting one of those 6ft. by 8 ft. greenhouses from home depot and start herbs from seeds in it this spring.

Will this work? Do you see any problems with this plan? Will the Depot greenhouse keep my seedlings warm enough? When can I plant my seeds in this greenhouse in spring?

I would truly be grateful for the benefit of your experience. New to herb growing!

Thanks

MaryMargaret

Comments (12)

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

"Herbs" is an incredibly LARGE category of plants, literally thousands of plants are in this category. Each plant can require different germination conditions. So knowing what "herbs" specifically you looking to grow is important.

And is this greenhouse to be used indoor or outdoor? If outdoor, what are your spring temps in Zone 7? I suspect it may be too cool for many seeds to germinate.

FataMorgana

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

Agree with fatamorgana's questions. If it is outdoors, it is probably going to be too cold. Also some herbs like to have bottom heat to germinate, some like darkness and others like light. Need to know which ones and perhaps can help then.
    I have been growing and selling herbs for 5 years now and can say I think I have experience anything and everything that can happen when seeding!!

• marymargaret21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

North MS, I sure need your expert advice!
    Crazy spring weather in these parts - 70 degree days in March, only to have ice storm at Easter.

Outdoor unheated greenhouse. I want to plant Anise, basil, several varieties,bee balm, betony, borage, caraway. chamomile,chervil, chives, cilantro, clary, comfrey, dill,fennel,feverfew, hyssop, lavender, lemon balm, lovage, margoram, mints, nasturtium, oregano, parsley in cool weather, pennyroyal, rosemary, rue, sage, sweet woodruff, tansy, tarragon, thyme, wormwood.

I already have a large area for an herb garden with fertile well-drained soil, mostly full sun with some afternoon shade in varying degrees in different areas.

Last frost is supposed to be after Easter. You are supposed to be able to plant tomatoes here then and other warm season veggies.

So when and how to I plant herbs from seed in my area?

Eternally grateful for any help you can give me! Thank you so very much!

I have crimson clover cover crop growing in this herb garden area now, which I will turn over late Feb. or first of march. It will probably overwinter here.

Thanks!
    MaryMargaret

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

Couple of questions - do you have lights and do you have electrical plugs?.
    First off - rosemary, tarragon & mint are better grown from cuttings - at least from my experience. You probably won't get much from the rosemary for a couple of years.
    When I started this - my husband and converted our unfinished basement into our "grow op" We put in flourescent lights, hooked up a watering system and put in pull out trays.
    Like I mentioned before some herbs like bottom heat ie a heating pad (basil in particular) other like thyme like the flourescent lights also need to have air circulating (we vented incoming air and outgoing air). Also if not warm enough seeds will not germinate - could you put in a small heater?
    Remember, chervil, parsley, chives and mints don't like full full sun.
    Some of the ones you have listed I have never attempted to grow so not much help with those.
    Are you doing this just for yourself or are you planning to sell this?
    Love to give my help whenever I can, no one was there for me when I started out and would have appreciated it so now it my time to help out.
    Take care
    Melissa

• barbe_wa
    14 years ago

MaryMargaret, if you've never checked it out, have a look at the Winter Sowing Forum. I've had excellent results with just about every herb except basil which actually does need a warm temperature, not to germinate, but to grow to any size at all. There's a link at the top of the Herbs Forum page.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Marymargaret,
    The following can be direct seeded in the garden:

dill, chives, chervill, lemon balm, parsley, nasturtiums.

My understanding is that smaller seeds are more difficult to grow. Because, you cannot plant them too deep and if yu plant them shallow, they have to be kept moist constantly and consistantly.

Basils and parsley, I know them. Basils need real warm soiland air to grow. Parsley , on the other hand, like spring-like cool weather. I direct sow basils real early and leave them alone. You can direct sow parsley in the fall or very early spring.
    Then , of course, you can grow any/all of them inside and transplant them to get a head start.

I have a 30" X 48" cold fram that I use to germinates my seeds. It is little better than direct sowing. In sunny days those cold frames can get real warm and stay much warmer than the surroung at night. I also use it to provide overnight protection for some potted plants.

Some of those "herbs" that you intend to grow, are self-seeders. That means that their seeds can overwinter and grow in the spring. Basils, dills, sumer savory, lemon balm are the one that I know.

Starting things like thyme from seeds is a lengthy process. I would rather get one and propagate by rooting.

With regard to tarragon, I have learned(here at GW not too long ago) that true tarragon (French T') does not grow seeds or very very rarely. Those tarragon seeds sold at stores are "RUSSIAN" tarragon and not worthed. True tarragon is propagated by branch rooting or root division. I have done the latter.

There are so many of those in your list that I have no knowledge of their growing habit.

• marymargaret21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so very much for all your help!

Must I start herb seed indoors (I will have so many of them), someone said they used a cold frame. Does the Depot (no heat) greenhouse act like a cold frame. Cold frame is smaller and lower to ground, probably warmer than the Depot greenhouse? Unless heated.

Still trying to check out solar heating for the greenhouse. Does anyone know anything about solar heating a greenhouse?

I've copied your responses and will put them in my herb gardening book. It is a big help, and I do so appreciate it.

Thanks! Have a great day! Any more advice? I'm all ears!
    MaryMargaret

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

Things I've direct sown from your list with success are:

Anise

basil, several varieties - I never indoor start basil and I grow holy basil, thai basil, and some other various sweet basil varieties

borage - once you plant it, it will forever be yours. Can't kill the stuff. It drops those little grenade like seeds every where.

chervil

chives - takes a while from seed. Maybe a good 3 years to have sizable plants. Got any friends that can spare some from their established chive plants?

cilantro - Needs warm soil to germinate but tolerates cool temperatures. Bolting is a problem with transplanting this one. Direct sow!

clary

dill - also will often bolt upon transplanting. direct sow!

fennel

nasturtium - as easy as direct sowing marigolds

parsley - also will often bolt upon transplanting. direct sow!

thyme

lemon balm

sage

I personally hate indoor seed starting and only do the stuff I can't start outdoors in situ, like peppers and tomatoes.

FataMorgana

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Unless you are in hurry and/or want to get a head start, direct sowing is normal natural way. After all, all those plants come from wild nature where they drop seeds and the seeds grow when the time is right and ripe.
    I do have a small cold frame (30" by 48"), with slanted lower front facing south. Last spring I started parsley, lettuce, and arugula in it. It worked fine. Of course, I transplaned my seedingg when they were small. So there was no chance for bolting in the spring.

• leira
    14 years ago

I personally hate indoor seed starting and only do the stuff I can't start outdoors in situ, like peppers and tomatoes.

FataMorgana, I don't know how you stand it! I start chomping at the bit to get some gardening done every year in January or February, and it's all I can do to wait until March when I can start some things indoors. :-)

As for the topic at hand...I've never had a greenhouse, but I suspect that it would give you a little bit of a head start on the season. Just how much would depend on various factors, as others have suggested.

• neohippie
    14 years ago

In my experience, most herbs are fairly cold-hearty (though I guess it depends on what you mean by cold... I am in the south and my main problem is getting things to survive extreme heat, not cold). The exception would be basil, which I treat more like a pepper or tomato plant than an herb, making sure it stays nice and warm. I betcha most of your other herbs would do fine in a coldframe.

Sounds like you're being pretty ambitious for a new herb gardener. I haven't even tried half the plants you list. Maybe you should just try some of the old standbys first?

Parsley, dill, and cilantro are all cold-tolerant annuals you can direct-seed easily. If it's too cold for them they'll just wait there in the soil until it warms up to their liking. I think they'd be fine.

Basil is a warm-weather annual you can direct seed or transplant as soon as it's warm. Right now it's probably too cold for it. Wait until it's warm enough to plant tomatoes.

Perennials like thyme, oregano, sage, lavender, etc. can be grown from seed, but dare I say that buying plants is a lot easier? The seeds from thyme, for example, is crazy tiny, like ground pepper. If you really want to try them, you'd probably be ok putting perennial herbs in the coldframe too.

Mint, tarragon, and rosemary either have really low germination rates or don't come true from seed, so you pretty much have to get plants for them.

• hitexplanter
    14 years ago

Since no one else will say it I will for your benefit. I suggest starting out with about half or less of these herbs and do more with each season as is appropriate and as you learn you will be able to handle more and do better as you progress along. Every new herb grower I have helped teach over the years wants to do everything and this is just not practical. Like any other skill it takes time and patience. Many new growers are also short on this. Growing herbs will teach you patience (at least if you stick with it:). I wish you only the best but back off... take a breath and think about the herbs you most want to grow and start with them this season. Good Luck and...
    Happy Growing David