Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cats_eat_my_plants

Black Peppercorn Advice?

cats_eat_my_plants
10 years ago

I've been reading through some of the older posts about peppercorns, but I still have some questions.

When I bought my Halloween pumpkin this year, the farm also had some peppercorn plants, which I'd never seen before. I bought one, and it seems to be pretty healthy so far, but I'm not sure what it really likes.

I first kept it on a stand by my front window for plenty of light, but my youngest cat got up there and nibbled a leaf or two, so I moved it to a different room. Less light, but much warmer.

The plant itself is about 2 inches high, and has a few big berries on it, mostly a reddish-currant color, and one that turned eggplant color and is now starting to show change in the surface like it's drying up. Should I be picking these berries off? There were some flowers that are now developing into berries. And if I pick the berries, should I dry them?

The other threads mentioned that this is a vine plant, so I will see if I can get it a small trellis. It also sounds like this plant is tropical and would like more humidity, so I can arrange to put it by my humidifier (winters are so dry here in Boston).

Any other advice about light, soil, or how much water it likes would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (2)