Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magnoliasouth

I have new basil, rosemary and cilantro. Now what?

magnoliasouth
13 years ago

I found them at Walmart. The rosemary is beautiful, but the basil and cilantro are a bit unhappy. I just decided why the heck not? It is worth, at least, a try. Right?

I have a South facing kitchen window with a fluorescent light above (though not close enough to really count). I live on the gulf coast, where it is hot and sticky most of the time. We can still wear shorts right now!

I've been doing a lot of reading (both here in the forums and whatever Google could throw at me) and I'm getting conflicting information. Some say basil is easy, others say it's hard. Some say rosemary does best outside, some swear by it inside. Cilantro? Same thing.

So! Basically I'm still left wondering what to expect. My biggest question though, is about trimming them. Many sources say to wait 3 weeks, but if I wait that long, my basil will likely be to the ceiling (yes, I'm being a bit dramatic here). The main stem is already 16 inches long. Again, it looks sad and is bent off to the side a small bit. That's the best plant they had. On a more positive note, the base leaves look brand new and fantastic.

Should I trim off brown leaves or stems (or both)? Or just leave them for awhile?

Do I trim off only leaves, or stems that shoot off the main one, or the main stem? I've no idea what they're called and cannot find a good picture/video to show me.

What about propagating? Eons ago I had a friend in another state that I've lost touch with. I remember her telling me how she trimmed off the tops of her basil and put them in water (I believe she said water), until they rooted then she made a new plant. She did this all winter.

Would that work? What about the other two plants?

Sorry to sound like such a novice, but the thing about the web is the information overload. It is truly overwhelming. Sometimes simple answers are best.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take a moment and help me.

Should I have posted some pictures?

Comment (1)

• Daisyduckworth
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you live in a hot/warm climate, your basil and your rosemary will grow to quite big plants. The basil, being an annual (which means it will die come winter) will be the fastest to grow - probably at a rate of knots. It will definitely be happiest outside, in full sun. You can use the leaves at any time, but don't trim off more than one-third of the entire plant at any one time, and allow it to grow back before harvesting again. Trim it, it grows, and will become a nice, full (ie not leggy or too woody) shrub. Yeah, get rid of the dead leaves - they're unsightly, and quite useless except as mulch.

You can take cuttings of basil at almost anytime during the growing season. Forget the water thing - cut a strong stem on an angle, dip the end into pure honey, chop off the tender top leaves, stick into some potting mix, and Robert's son of your grandfather.

Rosemary is a very large shrub when it's grown up. It also prefers to be outside in the full sun with plenty of room to spread. It also can be trimmed back regularly to keep it bushy and unwoody, and it can also be propagated from cuttings, preferably heel cuttings from the previous year's growth. Just look for a satisfactory sprig, then peel it off, tidy any stringy bits, dip the end (which looks like the heel of a shoe) into honey, stick into some potting mix, and Robert's......It's a slow-grower, especially in its first year, but since it can live for about 30 years or so, that's OK.

As for coriander (which you call cilantro), that's another kettle of fish altogether. It's a very short-lived annual. In hot climates, its entire life-span can be as short as 2 weeks - from seed to seed - so you'll need to get more plants until you establish a nice little patch which will soon look after itself. Allow your first plant to go to seed, and then watch the babies grow. Soon you'll have plants in all stages of growth. If you want the leaves, collect them before they start to turn lacy - that is a sure sign that the plant is about to go to seed, and there's nothing you can do to stop it doing its Thing. In hot weather, you'll need to offer it some protection from the worst of the heat - which hastens the 'bolting to seed' process. Again, it's happiest outside, but in a hot climate, give it dappled sunlight to slow things down a bit. Since this plant self-seeds readily, and grows so quickly, there's no need to propagate by cuttings, though it can be done - same method as with basil. Easier to buy a small seedling every couple of weeks until your patch is up and going.

These plants CAN be grown inside for a while, if you're quite happy with severely stunted plants which are susceptible to bugs and diseases, dust and grease and rapidly-fluctuating temperatures (such as in a kitchen) All need excellent drainage, and that can rarely be provided indoors. Also, being next to hot glass, they'll burn easily (touch the glass on a hot afternoon and see if you'd like to sit next to it!) and they'll never be happy plants. Nature didn't invent houses, so didn't invent plants to be grown in them.

Plants are very like humans in a lot of ways - we all like plenty of fresh air, room to spread out and grow (we don't want to bind our feet to keep them from growing - well, plants don't like their roots being confined either), enough water to sustain us but not drown us or rot our feet, sunlight, and freedom to do our own thing (but being protected when we're babies). Make sense to you?