Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

When should I plant Lovage seeds?

zzackey
11 years ago

I live in SE Georgia-8b. When should I plant lovage seeds?

Comments (5)

• Daisyduckworth
    11 years ago

Lovage will tolerate either full sun or partial shade, depending on prevailing climate conditions. It grows best in climates where it can receive a period of dormancy in winter. In spring, or when the centres of the plants start to die out, established plants can be divided by digging up the dormant clumps and splitting them with a sharp spade. Sow seed in autumn as soon as they ripen, at an ideal temperature of 20�C, and about 5mm deep. Seeds are viable for 2-3 years. They need light to germinate, so just barely cover them, and they usually germinate in less than 2 weeks. Grown from seed, the plant may take 3-4 years to reach full maturity. Seeds do not store well, so use seed which is as fresh as possible. It prefers a very rich, moist but not heavy soil. If in sandy soil, fertilise well for good leaf colour. The plant dies back in winter but grows back in spring. Mulch the roots to protect against freezing. Lovage can be grown in a container. Make sure you keep it trimmed � it can withstand heavy pruning. Prefers a soil with pH 5.0-7.6. It is a very adaptable plant and frequently occurs as a garden escape. It will last several years if well cared for, usually about 8 years. After about 4 years when it becomes too woody, the roots can be used as a vegetable after the bitter skin has been removed. Keep the plants well watered in autumn and spring. Water deeply to encourage deep root development and take special care that young plants are never allowed to dry out. Lovage is susceptible to leaf miners.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great info!

• briergardener_gw
    10 years ago

daisyduckworth,
    I am going to plant lovage and found this post, but I am confused: "sow seeds in autumn ..., and about 5 mm deep" and then "... just barey cover them", how to understand this?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have not heard of Daisy around here lately.

But to answer your question, the best I can:
    It means that you plant it in the fall, let it germinate , grow as much as it can and let it overwinter . This way, it will re start growing(after coming out of dormancy) the following spring, like parsley, for example. I am sure you can plant it in the spring too.

• nickl
    10 years ago

Just to add one thing. 5 mm is much less than 1/4 inch. So if you plant the seeds as directed by daisyduckworth, you will "barely cover" them.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz