Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I thought I had fennel, but it doesn't have a bulb...

Posted by gribble (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 13:48

I have some fennel plants, they look exactly like fennel, taste like it, flower like it, and make seeds like it that taste like fennel seeds.

I recently pulled all of the plants I have to find a lot of big taproots, someone said you could eat fennel so I looked it up but realized I must have either Bronze Fennel or some wildtype. It only has taproots (link).

Can someone clear this up - I'm not sure if I can eat the roots, I put one in a blender and it isn't too bad in smoothie form with other stuff but I can tell parts of it are pretty fibrous.

I was thinking of making soup with these roots but am not so sure after seeing how fibrous they are.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is what my fennel roots look like

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I thought I had fennel, but it doesn't have a bulb...

Double post - the ongoing discussion over on Vegetable Forum has already answered this question. Your plants are most likely fennel, just not Florence Fennel. The roots of the herb fennel are edible but as you have found not palatable. By digging the roots you have destroyed the plant which would have provided you with leaves, stems and seeds for several years.

Do you have a picture of your own fennel plants/roots? (The picture is not the OP's)

o
RE: I thought I had fennel, but it doesn't have a bulb...

I don't have pictures but they were identical to those depicted and the fronds/flowers/seeds/taste are all identical. Thanks, apologies for the double posting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here