Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surf1_gw

Trouble with various Basil Plants?!?

surf1
9 years ago

Ever since I've started growing Basil, about 3 months in since the beginning of this year for every plant, the leaves start yellowing. I've tested various ways of watering from leaving go dry then watering, watering every day, watering every other day, no difference. But now I have a big issue and don't know what this is that's affected my plants before, and now it's really bad. Apparently this isn't Downey Mildew from another thread I posted in and doesn't look like it either looking at pics. I thought my Thai Basil was ok but just realized looking through the plant it's being affected by it as well. Its like these grayish patches/marks where that are just dead/dry/stretchy if that makes sense spots.

good close up

here you can kinda see the yellowing I was talking about, this happens to every plant around 3 months or so including my Thai ones.

Appreciate any help! thanks

Comments (5)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I think they need fertilizing badly.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

They do look rather pale. Yellowing is also a common indication of overwatering. Your soil should not be continually soaked. The soil should have a chance to dry out between waterings - not completely to dust but it should only be slightly moist.

Plants that are stressed and not in a healthy state -- any plant -- will be more prone to disease and other problems.

FataMorgana

• surf1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What would you recommend for fertilizer, just worm casings or other? About the watering, I started growing about a year ago and may don't have it down pat. But I've tried various ways on different plants (4 basil plants). I always stick my finger in the soil to see how moist it is, but for each plant same time I did something different like water each day till water drains out, lightly watering each day, letting go dry over 2-3 days and then watering etc.

The soil is the potting mix the nursery places here use.

• martini100_gw
    9 years ago

I don't know a lot about using worm casings but I assume it would be fine. It's a good organic. Even a shot of Miracle Grow would help. Go back to only watering when it is dry. A couple of the pictures look like a fungus of some sort to me. If just fertilizing and adjusting the watering don't help, I would spray some copper fungicide just so see if that does the trick.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

first.. to get one watering program.. you should have one media .. then you can presume.. in a given size pot.. all will need water at the same time ... until some plants get larger than others ..

next ... there is NO reason.. not to let a pot go so dry.. the plant wilts ... note how many days it takes... and then water one day sooner ... insert finger.. see how it feels.. and feel the weight of the pot ...

you are guessing.. and that is why you are struggling ...

just this year... after 30 odds years of playing in the garden.. i was at a greenhouse ...and i see the dude in charge ... and i say.. boy.. everything in that one house is wilting and bone dry ... he says.. thats his system ... that it makes for a hardier plant... that grows roots .. to fill the pot.. etc ... mind you.. its just for one day.. as he said they would be watered later that evening ... [whatever works.. works.. and boy does his system work for him]

no one can really tell you.. how to do it.. in your pots.. in your micro climate.. in your media.. with your plants ... experiment until you find how it all works for you ..

and then next year.. they wont make the media anymore.. and you will have to start over ... lol ...

mixing any water soluble fert at about 1/4 ... and using it with every watering... is a very easy way to do it ....

finally.. when growing a crop... you might want to switch out your media every crop ... i only see yellowing like this.. when i try to reuse the old media too often .... too late for this bunch ... but dump it when this crop is done ...

ken

ps: i would just pinch off the affected leaves.. and be done with it ...

pps: if the pots are on that deck all the time... think about how hot the pots can get in hot sun.. on a reflective surface.. with reflective fencing behind ... most plants like cool roots... not being baked .... especially in your zone ...