Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black dots on basil? (photos)

Posted by jjj111q 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 13, 09 at 14:25

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago, I brought my potted basil indoors in hopes of keeping it alive during the wintertime. I noticed that some of the leaves have tiny black dots on them; is this damage something I can control/prevent, or is my plant doomed?

New leaves appear to be growing, but some of these small leaves also have the black dots. I have the plant in a south-east facing window.

Thanks for any ideas you might have!

basil 200911
basil 200911
basil 200911

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black dots on basil? (photos)

I'm no bugologist, but it's definitely a bug of some sort! (And a lot of bugs you get are different from the bugs I get in my part of the world.) A spray with Garlic Spray should fix it - it's good for multitudes of bugs. For a more accurate ID of the bug, take a few affected leaves to a nursery and get the experts there to point you in the right direction.

My guess is that the plant is indoors. Indoor plants are especially prone to bugs because there are few predator bugs to get rid of them. A spell outside might help, but it does look like a plague of them to me.

o

I'm not so sure that this is insect (or mite) related. It appears very much like a fungus disease at the stage where minute fruiting bodies have occurred. The only way that I could be certain would be to see these leaves in person. A hand lens wouldn't even be necessary.

Regardless, fungal disorders as well as pests can languish in a state of semi-snooze when outside, but burst into high gear when exposed to a 'hostile environment', i.e. indoors. Basil is not a good candidate for window ledge culture, especially when acclimated to the outdoors.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 13:15

More likely to be damage from water shortage -- the plant lost lots of those when you dug, then put it in a pot.

o

It looks a lot like red spider mite damage. Possibly with some mold fungus which has come in after the initial harm.

Here is a link that might be useful: red spider mite on basil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here