Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhubarb_stalker

lavender - seed or cuttings?

rhubarb_stalker
14 years ago

Please help me settle a matter. Is it a good idea to start lavender from seed, or should I invest in plants to take cuttings from? I have read that some people are successful at starting seed, but then other gardeners seem to argue against that approach and recommend cuttings. Are there any experts out there?

Comments (4)

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

It's a personal choice. Personally, I like to start plants with cuttings - a bit of a head start. Cuttings usually come free from friends and neighbours, or from mother plants in your own garden, too. I find heel cuttings work best with woody shrubs like lavender.

Some plants don't grow true to type from seed. This is true of lavender, of which there are many species and many more cultivars. If you see one you like, the only way to guarantee you'll get one exactly like it is to clone it - ie take a cutting. So seeds are an unknown quantity - especially when (as you'll have learned if you read this forum regularly) that there is a lot of problem with mis-labelling by seed-producers/sellers.

Lavender seeds aren't the easiest seeds to grow. . Seeds are difficult to germinate and should be refrigerated for one month, or frozen for 24 hours, before sowing. They should be sown in autumn at an ideal temperature of 20°C. Just barely cover seed. They need warmth and good light. If no germination in 3-4 weeks, move to Â4-+4°C for 2-4 weeks.

I guess you have to decide whether you're up for a challenge or not! And are prepared to wait....

• rhubarb_stalker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, daisy, I always enjoy reading your informative responses. You are like a walking herb reference book.

• ufseeds
    14 years ago

Hey,

I would suggest starting from seed because it is cheaper and more satisfying! I'm personally growing Lavendar right now and it just started germinating yesterday. It is truly a joy to watch it grow.

Its easy, you can grow the seed slightly under soil or on top of soil with light. Make sure the temp is between 55-70 degrees. Germination will take about 7 days and 6-8 weeks to grow into a 4" pot.

Hope this helps + you can find more lavendar seed varieties to choose from!

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    14 years ago

I see your in zone 5. I recommend winter sowing Lavender seeds. I started winter sowing 2 yrs ago and I now have 5 different types of Lavender (multiple plants each) and will be doing a second run of WS French Perfume Lavender and new to me White Ice Lavender this winter. It's so easy WS'ing them. I have NEVER had a problem at all with seed germanation if I WS the seeds.

Melissa1977