Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing indoors: clay terra cotta vs. plastic pot?

Posted by Rick7072 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 15:59

This fall and winter is my first time growing herbs indoors, under grow lights. I've read several different opinions on what material is best for the pot. I think most writers say that clay terra cotta is better since it can breathe which is important for our Mediterranean herbs, but I also see on the web "Try to avoid terra cotta pots. They absorb moisture and can dry out plants prematurely". And I guess others say either is ok!

I could just go ahead and experiment but would appreciate others' thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's an article I found on the web suggesting to NOT use terra cotta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing indoors: clay terra cotta vs. plastic pot?

It depends upon the plant. I'd never use terra cotta for something that liked more moist conditions - the terra cotta wicks away too much moisture. For Mediterranean herbs like sage and thyme that prefer more drained conditions, I would. But it all depends upon what I have on hand in the long run. ;)

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here