Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dried lemon balm turns black

Posted by grandprix1 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 16:50

I am drying lemon balm for the first time and am using a dehydrator (I'm doing it at this very moment!). I've noticed within about 20 minutes of drying in the dehydrator, the leaves are turning black. In fact, the leaves were practically dried in about 30 minutes and are very dark (almost black). I only used the leaves with about a half inch of leaf steam. In the past I have dried parsley very successfully by hanging to dry. This is the first for using the dehydrator. Any suggestions about how to keep herbs from turning dark and black when I use the dehydrator? Is there a way to keep them and other herbs green (or their normal color) when drying in the dehydrator? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dried lemon balm turns black

Yup. That happens. I **ONLY** air dry lemon balm. The dehydrator is too hot for lemon balm even on the lowest heat setting.

Parsley on the other hand is a perfect candidate for the dehydrator since it air dries very poorly - at least in my rather humid location.

For leafy materials like parsley, use the lowest heat setting.

FataMorgana

o
RE: dried lemon balm turns black

thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here