Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my basil plant?

Posted by tehc0w ny (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 18:42

I've tried to grow a lot of stuff before and all of my plants seem to get afflicted with this. It has hit my eggplant, my snap peas and now my basil. I did some google searches but I haven't found anything that matches.

Images here: http://imgur.com/uLjtf.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my basil plant?

Looks like either a nitrogen or iron deficiency.

o

I would suggest cultural problems rather than deficiencies. The plants are, I assume, indoors where basil does not get optimum light and air movement. The apparent fungal problem (browning lower leaves) look like symptoms of over watering and the leaf damage looks like spider mite which loves indoor conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider mite on basil

o

Excellent insight. I have had spider mite issues in the past though I haven't seen any on my basil plants so far.

I don't think I'm over watering though. I usually water when the leaves get a bit soft (so once a day). If anything I feel like I'm under watering since the soil drains very easily.

o

Once a day is almost certainly far too often unless your home is kept incredibly hot with no humidity. Stick your finger into the soil and if it feels slightly moist an inch down don't water. Leaves droop from overwatering as well as underwatering so check the soil, not just the appearance of the plant. It's easier to revive a dry plant than save a drowned one.

If you do not have grow lights you are pushing the limits trying to grow basil indoors in winter. It is likely to be sickly and sad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here