Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiaki0730

how big will lavender grow from seed for their first year?

chiaki0730
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm interested in growing lavender from seed next year to fill in some space I have in my yard.

But wondering how fast do they grow, and how many years/months does it take for them to start brooming?

If it takes too long, I will probably buy small pots next spring...

Any advices/tips will be appreciated! Thanks.

-b

Comments (12)

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

Well, besides asking whether you live in a WET part of Seattle and that lavendar likes it to dry out between waterings, I don't think that you have enough sun/heat to get it to bloom the first year. :(

• chiaki0730
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks both for replying to my question!

So it takes 2 years to have them bloom... Hum... I guess I might have to buy potted plant next spring.

-b

• tomtuxman
    16 years ago

I winterseeded lavender one year (I think it was Munstead). It germinated beautifully by the Spring, perhaps my best winterseeding experience. The plants bloomed the first year, got about 12 inches high. I highly recommend checking out the winterseeding forum.

• karen_b
    16 years ago

I'm in agreement with tomtuxman. I've had the same experience with munstead 3 years in a row wintersowing the seeds and then transplanting into a sunny dry location. The first year I planted them in my herb garden which was too moist, when I moved them to a drier location they took off. Remember you won't get a true munstead (or any lavender for that matter) from seeds. But I don't care I just want alot of cheap lavender so I take what I get with seeds.

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

Many English Lavender's are sold as seed and can be found in many a good seed catalog.
    In my experience both 'Vera' and 'Munstead' bloom beautifully the 2nd year from seed and were about full sized shrubs. It's hot and dry here though between mid June and mid October. There aren't too many perennials that bloom their best the first year and for a sub-shrub like Lavender blooming the 2nd year is pretty good :D
    Here's two (2)yr. old plants....
    {{gwi:447534}}

I also get about 8-10 self-sown 'Munstead' in spring around the plants where I allow the 2nd round of wands go to seed...by fall they are about 8" tall and about 8" wide. Ones I've started indoors in January that were planted in April were bout 10" by 10" by then.

• chiaki0730
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for more info about growing lavender from seed.

I'm thinking about winter seeding this winter, so will definitely try some lavender seeds. Will make sure to get "Munstead"!

-b

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

b...

Lavender wintersows beautifully :D

Vera

• bangkokfreak
    16 years ago

I bought a sachet of munstead seeds and planted them in a well-drained pot. After only a few days of watering and leaving indoors, the shoots started to come out. Now in the second week, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why some are tall (1.5 inches) but look leggy, while others seem that have started drying out. Is this a usual condition? DO I water too much? And when should I start getting them out in the sun? thank you very much.

• matthewmb77
    11 years ago

Re:bangkokfreak
    Leggy seedlings means poor light exposure. Next time increase the amount of time they get direct light.

• neetakangutkar
    11 years ago

I have a couple of seedlings growing in a small pot of fern.. I was wondering if I should plant both together in a bigger pot or try to separate them, don't want to kill either one .. Will the lavender transplant alright or should I just leave be.

• User
    8 years ago

Using a home made propagate it takes me three days to get lavender to germinate. Use fluorescent light as well . Do not over water. Provide plenty of light .

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!