Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shipping bay laurel seed in winter

Posted by macky77 2b (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 19:50

I'd like to grow Laurus nobilis as a house plant. I've not been able to find it in any greenhouses here in Saskatchewan, so I'd like to order seed and start it myself. Given that this is a tree hardy only to zones much, much higher than mine, would the seed be damaged by spending a 2 to 4 weeks in the post? (Their charge for Express Post to Canada is too rich for my blood.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shipping bay laurel seed in winter

I can't answer your question specifically but bay trees self sow where I live and we do get frosts so a touch of cold would not stop them germinating. In fact they need a period of cold stratification. Why do you suppose it would be 2 - 4 weeks in the post? That seems very slow. They are small enough to go in a letter.

I would also try to assure that my seed source is totally reliable. Bay produces berries and it would need a certain amount of expertise to prepare them for sale. Definitely not some random eBay advertiser.

o

Thanks for your reply, floral. :)

Trade Winds Fruit is where I found the seeds. The company gets good reviews here on GW, according to my search.

I'd be shipping from Florida into Canada. I don't doubt it gets to the border fine with USPS, but Canada Post is hit or miss. I've had some packages from the States arrive in five business days and other packages (same general size) take six weeks. We live on a 'farm' and there are no street addresses (only a land description), so couriers cannot deliver here and we have to rely on our Canada Post office box in town for everything.

So, good to know that the seed can take a little cold *if* it does get waylaid for a bit. I'll just select the more reasonable ($7) standard international postage option then. I'm ordering some other packets at the same time, so it all may or may not fit in a standard envelope. I'll order two packets of the bay laurel in case I flub. I tend to be able to germinate seeds that others have trouble with, though... knock on wood.

Thanks again!

This post was edited by macky77 on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 18:03

o

This article is informative on germination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Germinating bay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here