Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shiso, Unkown by Many

Posted by seysonn 7b WA/HZ 1 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 20:45

Every year I buy shiso from Asian Market , root them in water and plant them. I find this method faster than growing from seeds. Anyway, I think shiso is very flavorful and grows well. It has some taste of basil, lemon balm. And the thing is that it retains lots of its aroma and flavor when dried.

Today I pulled my last shiso plant and hung it in the shed. I did not want to loose it to the frost. I use it like basil and oregano, meat ball, and similar cooking. Beside its good flavor it also has some medicinal benefits

----------------
P.S. I am going to make some pesto with it and freeze it. Already have enough dried leaves. .

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 0:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shiso, Unkown by Many

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 20:23

Cool. I might go look at the H-Mart (Asian market) and see if they have any though I have no problem trying from seed. Always looking for something different to try.

o
RE: Shiso, Unkown by Many

Many years ago, for the first time I grew them from seeds. It took a very long time to germinate and grow.

But after that every year I root and plant them. I do the same with Thai basil and lemongrass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here