Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardening_dizzle

Growing garlic for the first time...

gardening_dizzle
14 years ago

This will be my first attempt at growing garlic. Should I just buy some organic bulbs from Whole Foods and plant the large cloves from it? Is there somewhere else I should buy it? Since I live in Atlanta I'm pretty sure I need the soft neck variety. I've checked today at some of the suppliers of seed garlic and they're all pretty much sold out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• barbe_wa
    14 years ago

I've found that supermarket garlic is about as good as any for planting although it's been several years since I had to buy any at all. In fact, I just pulled the largest cloves off my "strings" today and planted them out. They should be ready about July. Softneck is a better keeper than the hardneck, and it braids very nicely, too.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

For our northern friends reading this, get the hardneck variety rather than trying the usual grocery store softnecks for planting purposes. It is more hardy and prefers the cold and damp of the northern climates. Plus it produces scape (yummy!) which the softneck doesn't.

FataMorgana

• neohippie
    14 years ago

Another idea is to try a local farmer's market. If anybody has garlic there, it's probably a type that grows well in your area. If that fails, the grocery store stuff will probably be ok too, just not as interesting.

Next year try to nab your garlic early if you want to order special garlic from a supplier. I pre-ordered mine way back in August, and only found out they were taking pre-orders that early by accident.

• anoid1
    14 years ago

Fatamorgana, are you able to keep your hardneck long enough for a fall planting and winter storage or do you just use it all up or process it?

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

I've just harvested and used.

But if you are looking to keep the hardneck garlic growing from year to year, let a few plants "flower" and produce bulbils. It will produce A LOT of them per plant. While it will take a few years to get full-sized bulb from the bulbils, if you do this every year you will eventually have a steady sustainable crop.

FataMorgana

• tracydr
    14 years ago

I'm going to plant some garlic this weekend in my new herb garden. Hoping a large border and intermingled with other plants will help keep the bunnies out since we are overrun with bunnies in our neighborhood.
    I found some purple streaked garlic in our grocery store. I don't see a hard core to it like I've seen with hard necked before but not sure if this is still soft necked?
    I assume since I'm in Phoenix and it's late that I should plant soft necked?
    I'll be scattering plenty of bloodmeal for the bunny repellent. Should I also add bonemeal for the garlic or any other additives needed?

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

A dog is also a good deterrent to bunnies too. I let ours chase them and woodchucks to the property line. Most of the time, they decide some place else is more conducive to their health.

I've never added any special amendments to grow garlic, leeks, chives, onions, egyptian onions, shallots, or any other allium that I'm forgetting that I've grown at one time or another. Regular garden soil and average moisture is all they require.

I've ordered garlic (for planting) from here and had good success. They have pictures of different types of garlic (compare to yours) & growing info that may help. Other vendors of vegetable seed will have pictures & information too.

FataMorgana