Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

Chocolate Mint Tea

sandhill_farms
13 years ago

I'm growing a couple of mint herbs one of which is Chocolate. I would like to try making a cup of tea to see how it tastes but having never grown herbs or made a tea from them I don't know how to go about it. I was hoping someone would give me some tips. Do I have to dry the leaves or can I just pick them and steep them in hot water? How many leaves would I need to use for a cup of tea? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Greg

Southern Nevada

Comments (4)

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

I have heard of people steeping fresh mint leaves but usually the "mint tea" everyone talks about is made from steeping dry leaves. During the growing season try a tea made with fresh leaves and one made from dried. See what you prefer.

As far amounts, for an average sized coffee mug, I use a rounded teaspoon of dried herbs to steep. More if it is a mild herb or I feel like it. Start with a rounded teaspoon and adjust as per your preference from there.

As for drying, avoid a food dehydrator for mints. They dry quickly and well without it plus the dehydrator is too hot even on the lowest heat settings. Some people hang herbs to dry but I lay them on screens. I add paper toweling on top of the screens to prevent herb cross-contamination and to keep the screens clean.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: How to proprly steep tea

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, FataMorgana.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• weedwacky
    13 years ago

I pour freshly boiled water over fresh herbs all the time to make tea. A sprig or two can also make cold water more appetizing or provide a change from plain water. It helps to roll the herb springs in your hand to help release the flavors. Whenever you are pruning herbs make a cup of tea to reward yourself. I fill the cup 1/4 - 1/3 full with sprigs of fresh herbs - I have used mint, sage, rosemary, basil, violet leaves, lemon balm, lemon thyme, English thyme, marjoram, yarrow leaves, strawberry leaves and others I can't remember right off the top of my head. Thyme tea with honey and lemon is great for sore throats, bronchitis coughs - tasty even when healthy. I particularly like sage tea and violet tea both of which have health benefits as wells as being tasty. I found yarrow leaves much tastier than I expected. Adding honey or lemon can enhance flavor just as sugar and lemon enhances China tea. Almost all herbal teas have health benefits. Many books and websites will give you more information. All of us are different so watch yourself for any allergic or uncomfortable reactions. Some are not a good idea for pregnant women - like parsley can supposedly cause contractions. Moderation and self awareness are recommended. However, I have had many problems with prescription drugs and have never had any with herbal teas. I do not use more than a cup or two a day of any beverage and try to practice variety in my teas as well as my diet.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I'm not a fan of 100% mint tea, but LOVE a few fresh leaves mulled in my regular green or white tea.