Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted mint w/spreading black spots/edges NOT rust

Posted by chumlette (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 18, 09 at 22:57

Hi,

I just bought a small, healthy-looking mint plant at my local farmers market and put it in large pot after carefully pulling apart the roots, as shown by the farmer. It is in a bright, but not hot window (bright earlier in the day than later). I planted it in Miracle Gro Organic potting soil. It keeps getting large black and brown spots that seem to spread, as well as black edges. Then those leaves look like they are wilting. I'm trying to keep it moist and not too wet/dry.

I did some research and found photos of rust and it does not seem to be that disease.

I wonder if I am watering inappropriately? I tried to let it dry out (even though the farmer told me to keep it moist) but that didn't help. Then I've kept it moist, but that didn't help.

Weirdly enough, I noticed a similar problem on two leaves of my new sage plant also -- and that one is a few pots away from the mint. A coincidence?

I love herbs and would prefer to grow mint myself if possible. I live in a high-rise apartment building and cannot put it outside. We had mint growing practically wild in my backyard as a child and have read of people having good luck with it in a kitchen garden. Plus, I am good with plants, so hope I can figure this out. Many thanks.

I'm not sure how to post a photo, so I included a link to a badly-taken photo of the problem. (I'm not much of a photographer.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mint photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted mint w/spreading black spots/edges NOT rust

Plants sometimes get shocked on the move from a cool, humid environment to a warm, dry one. You should let the top half inch to inch of soil dry out thoroughly between waterings. Beyond that, the plant would benefit from cool nights and some fresh air on non-freezing days (and a humidifier during the winter).

o
RE: Potted mint w/spreading black spots/edges NOT rust ...

A fan creating a light breeze also helps ... and plenty of direct sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here